faded trim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joeysjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got some of that plastidip and put 3 coats down on the light bar I bought and so far it looks 100 ties better now what I am wondering is how long does this stuff last

70AnvKK

Reaction score
I used the heat gun on my XJ trim and that lasted a month or two before it became blotchy, I then used the Rustoleum bed liner and it has stayed looking good for almost a year. The Turtlewax trim black is crap!

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Does that stuff really work? I always wanted to try it.

Yup it sure does. Probably the only as seen on TV item that works.

Did my side mirrors, roof rails, the trim under the wipers, door handles, rear step (not sure what the proper term is), my spare tire cover.

The box also included sand paper to restore headlights. I did that too.

IT REALLY WORKS! Heck, I didn't even degrease or clean the trims as the instruction mentioned.

I haven't tried any interior trimming.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I think the cheapest is from walmart.

A little of the wipe new fluid goes a long way.

THIS! Yes it does. I've used on my Ram and Charger. Ram front step pads are notorious for fading badly. Mine is 12yrs old. I gave it one treatment about 2 months ago and still looks nice and black.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THIS! Yes it does. I've used on my Ram and Charger. Ram front step pads are notorious for fading badly. Mine is 12yrs old. I gave it one treatment about 2 months ago and still looks nice and black.

Have you had to use it on your headlights yet?

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you had to use it on your headlights yet?

Used on the Charger's headlights and my aunt's crusty old 95 Sable's lights. Makes a noticeable difference, not back to original, but better. I know they make a specific headlight kit, that may work better but I haven't tried it.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it is the same liquid. I don't think there's any difference. The pack I bought had stuff to work on the headlights.

One of mine is starting to fade up a little but I think it's mostly my fault for not washing it enough.

megatone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a tip:

Buy some of that blue "painters" tape and mask off the painted body parts where it meets the plastic pieces.

Sounds kinda **** to use the tape, but I use a cheap plastic restore chemical and just slop it on all over the plastic with a rag. I do this every two or three weeks for my daughter. This way there is no need to wipe or detail the paint.....just peel the tape and daughter heads for the dirt.

You must be registered for see images attach

joeysjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have used some of that plasti dip on some of it now and like the way it is coming out so far i am thinking of using the wipe new on the headlights but keep forgetting to pick some up

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hahaha. cool beans.

a lot of elbow grease to put in with the headlights.
you got to get it all sanded down. takes awhile too cause of the fine grit then apply wipenew.

Don't need to overlap a lot of the wipenew as you do your passes. One pass is enough. Takes some time to dry too unlike when it is used on trim.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a fyi. It's very easy to take the front grille off. So just do that if you are restoring your headlights.

joeysjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok thanks those are good tips and yeah i found out how easy the grill was to remove when i swapped out the bumper covers so deffinitly be removing it when i restore the headlights this weekend

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I opted not to remove mine. It wasn't really in the way and most of the haze was in the center.

I think the supplied sandpaper is 2k or 3k grit. when I redo one of mine i'd start with a slightly coarser girt.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not used it on my rims as mine are still good.
Doesn't hurt to try.

wipe new on my roof rails, door handles and side mirrors haven't lasted as long as I'd hope for in the intense sun down here in Arizona.
Could be caused by me not doing the prep work of cleaning it before the application.

Last edited:

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Painted mine

2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7L with brand new engine ;)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GeekFisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't really feel like painting that would be a good idea, I'm definitely not good at painting. I'll probably give a try to Wipe New both plastics and rims and will wash the jeep before applying :)

Thanks,

Latest posts

Members online