Extended warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hummingbird_206

Reaction score
I have an 06 Liberty Limited 3.7L on order. I was thinking about purchasing an extended warranty until the quote I got from the dealer for a 7yr 85K "This plan normally retails for $3180 however for ourInternet customers I can do $2590." Holy Moly! I can't believe the high price. Is this normal? One thing they do say is if you never use the extended warranty you get a full refund (you can still use the 3yr 36K and not count against the extended.) But still, $2590???

A friend just bought an 06 Honda Pilot and the 7 yr 85K plan from Honda is "only" $1200. Also Honda dealers compete to sell extended warranties online, and Honda owners can purchase the extended warranty from any dealer, not just where they bought the vehicle. Any idea if there are any competeing dealers for Jeep warranties or better prices to be found? My web searches have not turned up any info.

smitty1938

Reaction score
I purchased the extended warranty on a dodge truck and 2 years later I traded the truck for a KJ. Paid almost 2000 for extended warrenty. Received back 750.00

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a thread last year here that got fairly heated over those that were for and against getting an extended warranty.

Those for, were so as it's nice if something happens, which I certainly understand! Nothing worse then your 3/36 ending and something major goes out. In that case the extended warranty can pay for itself.

Those against, were so as if you don't use it, it's wasted money. I personally fall into this group. First, DCC wants a lot for their extended warranties! Second, they price them to where they won't loose money, or else they wouldn't offer them. Hopefully most issues that you'll have will happen within the first three years.

My '04 hasn't had any problems since I've had it, so it seems to be well built (cross my fingers!). And fortunately it has the 7/70 on the powertrain. I'm slightly bothered that DCC went to just a 3/36 for everything as of '06.

If you do decide to get one, make sure that you get a plan that you won't use up early, or as said above, that you won't end up selling your KJ before it ends. I personally don't put a lot of miles on my Jeeps, so I would be more interested in "years" vs. "miles".

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too bad you ordered already. If you had not and if you had time to be patient and negotiate you might have done better. I considered purchasing my '06 CRD in October and November. Holding off until December got me a much better deal including a 2 year extension on the warranty through a year end incentive. I am not sure if the dealer has much incentive to cut a deal on this after the vehical is sold.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shortly after I purchased my 05 I receieved in the mail an extended warranty proposal from Jeep, what it entailed was a 7yr/70,000 mile bumper to bumper coverage with a $100 deductible, for $1,380.00 payable over 3 years with 0% interest and a 100% money back guarantee if never used or the vehicle is sold, I know there is a 7 year powertrain warranty already in place but thought some of the possible electronic, ac, failure would warrant the cost.

Bob

dnm45227

Reaction score
I got the warranty when we baught the '05. Paid about 2K for it, but will get 1500 back when it turns 7 years old or 70,000 miles if I don't make a claim. It has a $100.00 deductible if I use it.
My wife drives 20-30k a year and it's worth the peace of mind knowing that for 100 bucks it will get fixed, or we get most of the purchase price back. I figured that one major repair would pay for the warranty, I'm pretty sure I can take care of anything that would only cost a couple of hundred bucks.

tgh117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the extended warranty for mine as well. Dealer gave it to me at there cost, 936 dollars. If something goes out that is not powertrain, then that will take care of it, so I figured might as well do it and be sure that I won't get screwed later with some 1,000 dollar bill. Your warranty costs more now becuase they jeeps only come with 3/36 on the powertrain I think, so to make it up to 7/85, costs a bit more I assume.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spending money on vehicles just reminds me what a necessary evil they are. chairshot.gif

jackie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the local stealership is so bad about making repairs on warranty that I will not extend mine. They (michael stead) are NOTORIOUSLY bad. In fact, I just received the postcard to extend my 3/36000 and if I lived near a better dealership I think I would buy the extended warranty .... but since my only option is a crooked dealer I'm not wasting my money.

*crossing my fibgers*
*knocking on wood*
smashfreakB.gif

CHUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't purchase from the dealer. They'll rip your wallet out & feed it to theor kids.

DCX will normally send you a letter within a year of your purchase with options to buy xtended warranty @ deeply discounted prices and allow you to pay monthly installments with 0% interest.

A year after buying my KJ in April 2002, I got an offer as follows: Added Care Xtended warranty good until 04/12/2009 or 60,000 miles for $650 or $54.17/month for 12 months. They have all kinds of options as respects mileage & time. I took the 7 yr, 60K one cause I wont do 60K miles in 15 years, let alone 7 years.

Here is what the added care coveres me for. My KJ came with factory 7/100 warranty.

http://www.chryslerwarrantys.com/addedcare.html

hummingbird_206

Reaction score
Good to know that I'll get more opportunities to buy the extended warranty later. I'm not usually interested, but the 3/36 has me a bit worried, so I just want to explore options.

Thanks for all of the replies. I've been lurking around the forum for a couple of months and everyone seems to be very helpful....which I really appreciate! Just wish my KJ would arrive. Will probably be another couple of weeks!

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will be worth it. I have made three trips over Snoqualmie in mine this winter since I got it. Of course I had to sit in North Bend once and drink coffee for a couple of hours waiting........

rogersjam

Reaction score
extended warranties are negotiable. i purchased one with a nissan and the dealer said he was giviing me cost $795 for 5 year $100,000 mile warranty on an Altima SE-R for my wife. three months later i purchased a liberty renegade and the dealer was going to charge me $1800. i told the finance manager i wanted it for the dealer cost and he argued with me. finally i spoke with the sales manager and he told me that the extended warranties are marked up 3% of the sales price and he gave me one for cost after i threatened to purchase a Nissan Xterra

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Extended Warranties are always negotiable. Never pay what they ask for them. They are not for everyone, but I drive so many miles and don't want the hassle of dealing with the repairs myself. It works for me.

speleorelic

Reaction score
Interesting posts about extending the warranty. I have an 03 renegade with about 61k on it. It came with 7/70k warranty. Here is a list of what has been covered by warranty work, costing me $100 per:

1. ball joints twice

2. rear axle tubes leaking

Covered under warranty NOT costing me anything:

1. busted cv

2. adding rear gear lube additive to quiet clutch pack

NOT covered under warranty costing me 100%:

1. locked brake caliper and worn out brake pads

2. replaced front struts with Rancho(lift wore them out)

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Extended warranty is nice. You get a free rental car with any service (including oil changes, etc). So for the $25 oil change I get a $35/day rental car for free. Not bad, and it sure beats sitting around in the little waiting room with week old newspapers and stale coffee.