Exhaust for 2002 Liberty Sport

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ATraveller

Reaction score
Rather than seeing this black beauty of a KJ end up in the scrap yard, I bought a restoration project.
Currently the engine is being redone.
However, in addition, my mechanic has advised on new or replacement catalytic converters are required. With 160k on the odo, I figured why not. My issue has become whether to go with the original 2002 catalytic converters at dealership costs or use recycled from a 2004. Since the exhaust manifolds, hangers and mufflers are the same, there will be no bolt on problems.

Does anyone know if the O2 sensors will be different or will the 2004 sensors affect the 2002 engine management system.

Your comments gratefully accepted for this excited new jeep owner.

cheers.

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't use a recycled cat, they are only good for 80,000+ miles or so. There are other sources of cats other than the dealer. You just need a 2 1/2 inch high flow cat to replace what you have.

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, a recycled cat is silly. You can buy a 2.5" catco cats off ebay (high flow at that) for around $40/each...they will require welding though.

A catalytic convert will not have any affect on your O2 sensors...so long as it is allowing the exhaust to flow. There is nothign magical about a cat. Exhaust air is exhaust air regardless which brand cat is flow through.

O2 sensors should be the same...once again O2 sensors are O2 sensors. The only difference you will ever find is heated versus non-heated. All you have to do is look at the O2 sensors - if your have 4 wires connecting to them then you have heated O2s. I've never bothered to look at mine yet (since they work fine) so i'm not sure which the jeep comes with. I will assum ethey are heated 4-wire...but i could be wrong.

ATraveller

Reaction score
Thanks guys. The O2 sensors were the same and I opted for the factory cats as I have a discount with a Chrysler buddy.

Funny thing about the 04's was the cross over pipe would not fit under the ****** and the off-manifold cats were nearly twice the size.

The KJ is running smooth as butter. Very pleased with the transformation. =D>