EVIC going bad - time to replace, or can it be repaired?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AVR2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The EVIC in my 2005 Limited has started doing weird things. You have to press the SET button multiple times before it registers, the elapsed time counter will randomly freeze for a while (but it keeps counting while the display is stuck because it will then jump to the correct time), the Distance To Empty display alternates between "---" and the mileage figure, and when you're in a dark area you can see that the buttons are randomly illuminating and then going out even if you don't have the lights on.

Guess it's time to replace it with a junkyard special? Or do those symptoms indicate a repairable problem?

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The EVIC in my 2005 Limited has started doing weird things. You have to press the SET button multiple times before it registers, the elapsed time counter will randomly freeze for a while (but it keeps counting while the display is stuck because it will then jump to the correct time), the Distance To Empty display alternates between "---" and the mileage figure, and when you're in a dark area you can see that the buttons are randomly illuminating and then going out even if you don't have the lights on.

Guess it's time to replace it with a junkyard special? Or do those symptoms indicate a repairable problem?

I can't see how it could be easily repaired unless you're an electronics guru, and even at that, it's probably not worth it. I'd start searching junkyards. Since you have a 2005, make sure you get one that is fully compatible and pay attention to TPMS and non-TPMS...if you put a TPMS EVIC on a non-TPMS equipped KJ, it'll constantly alert you that something is awry.

Not sure if you knew all that - I recommend doing your research before purchasing :)

AVR2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you have a 2005, make sure you get one that is fully compatible and pay attention to TPMS and non-TPMS
Good call, I don't have TPMS and hadn't even thought about it!

It's not a priority since the compass/temp display still works normally, and that's what it stays on for 99% of the time, but eventually I'll want to replace it with a fully-working unit.