esp/bas light coming on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carlomencucci

Reaction score
I just picked up a 2006 Jeep Liberty 3.7 L automatic that I ordered new. About 3 miles after I left the dealer's lot, the ESP/BAS red warning light and the ESP orange indicator light came on and stayed on along with a chime sound. The weather was cold and clear. I returned to the dealer and left the engine running so Service could see the lights on. They checked it out but could not find anything wrong except for a connector that wasn't latched tight. At 100 miles the same thing happened again (the weather was cold and damp). I called the Service Dept and brought it in. After 2 days they called and said they couldn't find anything wrong and don't know why it's happening. They said they called Chrysler about it. I picked it up and 5 miles after I left the dealer, the same lights went on and stayed on again. The weather was cold (mid 20s) and clear. Total miles on Jeep 130. I don't detect any driveability problems. Has anyone see this happen on a 2006 Jeep Liberty? (Aeh)

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's It Mean

dnm45227 said:
What is an ESP/BAS warning light for?

Electronic Stability Program/Brake Assist System

This is apparently a crossover system being used from the DC Mercedes-Benz line, that is having quite a few complaints made about it.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine seems to work very well. The first time I noticed it working was when I was driving in slippery slushy snow and a car was coming at me sidewise. I touched the brakes ever so softly and the system noted a lockup on the right front and started applying ABS there only. Pretty cool.

I am having no failures on mine so far.

dnm45227

Reaction score
Sounds really cool, but I've learned that "really cool" is really expensive when it breaks down. Sorry, but that's new for the '06 KJ's and I have no experience with those systems. Only suggestion I can offer is to start documenting everything. Every phone call, service visit, even keep a journal of quotes (with names, dates, and times) from your service visits/calls. This will help if you have to make any arguments after warranty, or to get them to do a buy back.

2003KJ

Reaction score
dnm45227 said:
Sounds really cool, but I've learned that "really cool" is really expensive when it breaks down. Sorry, but that's new for the '06 KJ's and I have no experience with those systems. Only suggestion I can offer is to start documenting everything. Every phone call, service visit, even keep a journal of quotes (with names, dates, and times) from your service visits/calls. This will help if you have to make any arguments after warranty, or to get them to do a buy back.

I agree completely! Unfortuneately, you're probably not going to find much help around here, as there are only a couple of people who have an 06 KJ. Since the ESP is a new feature this year, nobody else has experience with it. Definately keep us updated though.

carlomencucci

Reaction score
esp/bas light comes on

Today I brought my new liberty to the dealer where I bought it and had the clockspring/steering angle sensor replaced, part number 56010619ae. I was told that several other people that bought 06 liberty's there are coming back with the same problem also.
Thanks for the info.

carlomencucci

Reaction score
esp/bas warning light coming on

Its back. The warning lights are coming back on again. Brought it back to the dealer for the service dept to check the trouble codes. They told me they are going to replace the anti-lock brake module along with the hydraulic control unit and have them coming in shortly. The service dept has treated me very good, has given me no runarounds, and has respected my complaint as a valid one. Maybe the quality control from Continental Teves on their MK25e electronic brake control systems is not so good and they leave it up to the dealer's service dept to catch the bad ones. I have 470 miles on the liberty.

akkj

Reaction score
I had the same problem...

I am having the same problems with my KJ....the service department up here said that the wheel speed detector on my front right thinks its slipping when its not. They are ordering me a new sensor the only thing that ***** is its in the hub so the whole thing has to be replaced.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.