Engine Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeeperPaul

Reaction score
Hey whats up? I am new and looking for any experience or advice in swapping a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 engine into a 2004 Jeep Liberty with a 3.7. What kind of issues can I expect to run into?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
This topic has been discussed & basically the 4.7 does not fit into the engine bay without a huge amount of $ and modifications.

There is a major amount of knowledge required to make the new computers to work.
You are way better off to simply purchase an 8 cylinder Grand Cherokee.
The 3.7 six cylinder engine for the KJ works fine.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
Actually it's easier (no - make that less difficult) to fit a Lexus V8, if you must have that hypnotic exhaust note - or really enjoy a challenge.

The V6 doesn't exactly sparkle, but it more than adequate to haul a little ol' KJ around.

Oh, & that 4.7 is best avoided in any installation, I had a brief flirtation with a WJ, having been suck(er)ed in by all the hype by some XJ loving Youtubers whose opinions I respected - & was glad to weigh it in, go back to the XJ & look for a KJ.