engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clw426

Reaction score
I'm replacing the 3.7 l engine in my '03 Liberty with an '04. I know I have to change the tone ring,reluctor ring ,and remove the pilot bearing to make it work. Can I swap the crankshaft from the '03 into the '04.That way I don't have to remove the pilot bearing.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm replacing the 3.7 l engine in my '03 Liberty with an '04. I know I have to change the tone ring,reluctor ring ,and remove the pilot bearing to make it work. Can I swap the crankshaft from the '03 into the '04.That way I don't have to remove the pilot bearing.

It's technically possible but the rod bearings and the crankshaft won't match and neither will the crankshaft bearings in the block. The bearings in this engine are "select fit," in other words, each bearing and crank journal are matched so wear is even and oil flow is smooth. If you put a different crank in without getting the proper bearings for that specific crankshaft you'll quickly burn a rod and/or crank bearing and blow the engine.

I know it sounds like you'd save some steps but it will create more problems than you'd save by swapping the crank. Just measure the the pilot bearing (or slide the torque converter into the crank opening from the '04 engine) and see if you have to change out the pilot bearing. I did NOT have to do that when I swapped in an '07 block into my '03. The reluctor ring screws are a challenge but I just took the crankshaft to a machine shop and had them remove them. Get new reluctor ring screws from the dealer and install with blue LockTite.

Hope this helps :waytogo:

Bob

clw426

Reaction score
I figured as much. I guess I'll just have to do it the right way, thanks.