Engine Steams During Heavy Rain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LaneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the second time I've noticed this, but I haven't really looked into it. Wondered what y'all thought first..

We got some heavy rain down here today. After just driving down the road to pick up dinner, less that 5 minutes, I noticed steam coming out from under the hood. Car idles fine, runs fine, temp is smack dab in the middle and everything. Its happened twice.

Next time it does it, I'm gonna look and see where its coming from. Any ideas?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It could be water hitting the cats...I've noticed that when waterfording but not DD type rains.

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably rain touching any hot part of the engine or cat. Pretty sure there's nothing to worry about. As long as you don't see that fume when the road are dry XD

piaa_nissan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing to worry about, same thing can happen after going through a car wash. Water hitting heat sources.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, its normal. If your kj only has an electric fan and its not running, the cool water hitting the hot radiator causes steam. If it had the water pump driven fan that always pulled some air it wouldnt happen. Turn the ac on and itll stop.

LaneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I had a feeling it was just something hot but I wanted to make sure.

Latest posts

Members online