Engine Starting Issues...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NoVA_KJ

Reaction score
I've been having occasional issues starting my engine the last 5 weeks. The motor will barely turn, but not enough to start. I'd give it a few seconds and then it'll start after the 2nd or 3rd try. This would happen once a couple of weeks, but in the last two weeks, it's happened 4 times.

The battery is only 1 1/2 years old, brand new alternator, new fuel pump - which wouldn't cause a weak crank anyway. I've ruled out the spark plugs, and suspect that it's the starter. I'd hate to get stuck with winter rolling in the DC area, so I'd like to figure this out ASAP.

Any thoughts?

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check your battery cables for loose connections or damage

and even though the battery is only 1 1/2 yrs old can't rule it out, especially with the temp changes over the last 2 weeks

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checked the battery just in case and it's got enough juice. How can I test the ignition switch?

What are you defining as enough juice? What was the voltage sitting, and under load while the engine cranks (or attempts to crank)?

If those voltages are good, sounds like a faulty solenoid in the starter motor.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was 10 volts under load.

If roughly 10.0v, slightly on the lower side, but should be sufficient to crank the 3.7 with a healthy starter motor. If it comes close to, or drops under 10.0v I'd be more concerned.

You should have tests performed that measure the amperage draw of the starter when cranking as well. If the starter motor draws too much power, from age, wear, internal shorts, etc, it can cause symptoms like you are describing, and often is misdiagnosed as a faulty battery.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.