Engine Oil Quantity Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey All-

First post and new Liberty owner of about 2 months now. I'm thrilled with it and I've found a lot of useful information and guidance from this site so far, so thank you in advance!

I have a quick question about the oil quantity in the 3.7L. Here's the background: Went to do the first oil change at 2K miles myself and of course, as I've now read after the fact, the factory installed the oil filter impossibly tight! Long story short, after struggling for several hours to no avail (I'm not the strongest guy in the world), took it to a shop and had them perform the oil and filter change for me under the assumption that the filter wouldn't be nearly as difficult next time I try myself. I provided the shop a case of Mobil1 5W-30 (6 quarts to a case) and a Mopar filter. I assumed that the shop would leave me a quart in the case and only put 5 in the motor, but when I picked up the vehicle, the whole case was gone. So my question is: do I have to worry about overfilling and excess oil pressure with the additional quart?

I've driven the jeep a good 100 miles since Sunday (my work requires travel) and everything is running smoothly, even getting a bit better gas mileage, although that's preliminary at this point. Any answers are appreciated!

Proud to be a Jeep owner!

Andy

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you positive they used the 6th quart or did they place it on their shelf? As it says, 5 quarts does the trick so maybe an additional 6th will fill it all up.

Since your using Mobil 1 you shouldn't have to worry about an oil pressure problem. Other oils may become denser during weather change and not thin out as quickly, possibly causing a pressure issue. You can always ask the shop to redo it to ensure proper levels are meet and not be charged.

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had considered the possibility that the shop just shelved the 6th quart, but can't really be sure. I dipsticked the crank case, so I know it read full. I was just concerned whether or not I would be doing any damage in the case that it did have the 6th quart added.

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd give them a call just for my own piece of mind,Too much oil can cause damage,also I would want my 6th qt of oil - the stuff isn't so cheap.

Ditto with the filter being really tight,It took me 2 hours to finally get the original filter off.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why didnt you ask them about it when you picked it up? If you checked the oil level and its good, then i would say they stole your last quart of oil. Idk about you, but I would be fairly upset that someone took something of mine.. I would either make them pay for it or replace the quart of oil. Im kinda picky though. O:)

Havoline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine oil capacity of the 3.7 V6 is 5 US quarts WITH a new filter (which you should replace with every oil change, anyway).

For the 2007 version of this engine, by the way, the recommended SAE viscosity grade is 5W-20, rather than 5W-30. O:)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you checked the oil and it was to the full mark - and not way over then they have your other quart of Mobil 1. I'd go get it back. At least it's not overfilled. Also next time you can do it yourself since they shouldn't have put the oil filter on as tight.. (check it first before you drain it)

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No matter how much oil they put in the engine if it's on the full mark all is good and you will have no engine damage. You can buy a band wrench or an filter socket for your rachet set inexpensively that will assist in your oil filter removals. The next one will also be tight as the lube oil that they put on the gasket to make it slide when they installed the filter will have long ago disappeared.

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CRD4Liberty said:
No matter how much oil they put in the engine if it's on the full mark all is good and you will have no engine damage. You can buy a band wrench or an filter socket for your rachet set inexpensively that will assist in your oil filter removals. The next one will also be tight as the lube oil that they put on the gasket to make it slide when they installed the filter will have long ago disappeared.

Right, check your oil level -if it isn't right about the full mark you should be fine. If you are paranoid you could always drain a half court or so out of the system, then check the level again.

I had similar problem with my oil filter...even after buying a proper wrench (my wrench was too large for the liberty) i had a hell of a time getting the filter off. Took me a good 20 minutes of struggling with the wrench to get it loose. Even when you start doing the oil yourself though it might not be a bad idea to have a wrench. Once the engine builds up vacuum and that filter gets sucked on nice and tight you may have trouble getting the filter off by hand next time around too.