Engine Light?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gont

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I started my Jeep today and I noticed what looks like an engine light. I looked in the manual and it tells me its for when my gas cap is off or if I put bad gas in the thing? Anyhow, I go and fill it up right after that to see if that was the problem (it was empty before) and the light is still on.

Could it be on because my washer fluid is low? I just got that thing beeping at me when I got home.

This light came on once before and it went away after I let it sit overnight. No idea what the problem was.

Any ideas as to what I should check? Or do I have to bring it in to the dealer to fix?

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The light will go out after a few normal drives. Unless of course you have a problem. Have you tried finding out what code you might be throwing?

Gont

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, the gas cap is tight. Made sure of that when I filled it up.

Havent had a chance to run to the store to get any washerfluid yet, but my question was. Does low washer fluid make that light come on? Or does it just come on because of the gas cap/bad quality gas? Looks like an engine.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do believe it tells you that washer fluid is low but idk where the light comes on at. Im not even sure what light is on, on your dash.

2003KJ

Reaction score
I know on the 03's, it will flash "LOW WASH" where the odometer is displayed (I believe the EVIC will flash it if you have one) when you're low on washer fluid.

For the engine light, take it to Autozone and they will read the code for free. Could be something as simple as a loose gas cap. However it could be something else. If its nothing "major" the light will go off on its own after so many "driving cycles", as Phil mentioned. A "driving cycle" is programmed in the vehicles computer, and varies from vehicle to vehicle. It can be as little as 10 miles, to as many as 30-40 miles. Once the computer senses enough complete driving cycles with no fault, the check engine light will go off.

There's a page in your owners manual that lists what every light on the dash (even ones that dont illuminate b/c you might not have that feature on your Jeep) stand for.

Gont

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, they call it the "Malfunction Indicator Light". I guess I'll drive it this weekend and if it doesnt go out I'll bring it in to the dealer.