engine leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any drop in the PS fluid level? There is an O-ring between the reservoir and the pump body that is a possible leak point or the pressure hose hose could spray. Where the return line attaches to the pump would be another spot to look. I would think the reservoir O-ring and return line would just run down the pump itself but could blow back when you are moving.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The level was at the min cold. Filled it to Max cold.
I don't remember what the level was the last time I checked.

Are these o rings available at auto parts store? Don't know if dealership is open.

When I started the jeep there was a small flow of fluid originating from behind the pump. This was with the Jeep idling.

Can the reservior be replaced or does the entire unit need to be replaced?
I take it I would need to remove the pump regardless?

Thanks.

Need to try to get what parts I need today.

Last edited:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The level was at the min cold. Filled it to Max cold.
I don't remember what the level was the last time I checked.

Are these o rings available at auto parts store? Don't know if dealership is open.

When I started the jeep there was a small flow of fluid originating from behind the pump. This was with the Jeep idling.

Can the reservior be replaced or does the entire unit need to be replaced?
I take it I would need to remove the pump regardless?

Thanks.

Need to try to get what parts I need today.

Here's a YT vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggVwMTuCGlE. It's really the same basic idea on the KJ except the one slide clamp is a bit tricky to get to. Pretty easy since I did it three times recently. The Cardone I had on the shelf leaked brand new right there. I think it's supposed to be a nitrile (NBR) 14mm ID. I had to go with an extra thick one because the OE reservoir wouldn't even seal so guess the pump was milled poorly. I think I went with a 14mm ID/ 3mm thick so 20mm OD. This will be pretty tight so might be good if you can find a variety pack. The thickness is the tricky part as most I see are different diameters but typically only 1 or 2 mm thick.The stock one was blue and deformed (flattened) so tough to measure. Probably 2 or 2.5mm thick. The replacement I used was black and supposedly safe for oil etc applications, been on for a while now and no leaks.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
autoparts store didn't have reservoir so i bought the whole unit.
:/

Thanks for the YT video.

I still don't see a leak from the P/S unit from the top. I guess i'll know when I pull it off shortly.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's either the P/S or that plastic plug.
Do you happen to know the P/N for the plug?
Most likely a mopar thing. don't think LAPs will carry it.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anyone know if the pump can be removed without pulling the pulley?
I'm gathering up some info for the work.

Thanks.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
does anyone know if the pump can be removed without pulling the pulley?
I'm gathering up some info for the work.

Thanks.

Yes there are opening in the pulley to slide a ratchet extension through. You just rotate it to get to the three bolts after you take the belt off.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yes it can be, in the pulley there's two holes and once the belt is off, you can just spin the pulley to align a hole with a bolt. There's 3 bolts.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
forgot to pick up the clutch fan wrench.
Resorted to stuffing shop towels behind the p/s pump unit.

nothing...... no fluids leaking.

When I looked at it this morning with the engine idling, there was visible fluids.

Could this be a case of it only happens when it's cold type of thing?

Going to go pick up that wrench and will unbolt the p/s unit tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help so far guys.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score

Could be. Anything on the rack mount? My OE pump was loud so I changed it. The replacement pump included the reservoir but would immediately run down the pump and drip on the rack. It seemed to leak out the front though. Then when I swapped on the OE reservoir on it still leaked at the same spot. Luckily I filled it before installing it in the vehicle this time as a test. That's when I went with the oversized O-ring.

If yours only leaks when idling and you aren't sure its ATF then may still be that plug or the valve cover.

Guess removing the pump to see what is back there will help alot.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing wet on the rack. Ran a shop towel around it.

Agreed that removing the pump will hopefully show me.

Didn't see a leak when idling. Only this morning when it was about 50F out. There was a hard freeze the past few nights.

Hopefully I'll see a leak when I get home.
Off to get the wrench. Will buy an extra pulley just in case.

Thanks again.

Btw, I haven't found that p/s high pressure line bracket. I'll keep looking. I just moved so it may be misplaced.

Last edited:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the pump seal at the back failed. But like what you mentioned PVC, you would think there would be a drip down the return line or the high pressure line.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
forgot to pick up the clutch fan wrench.
Resorted to stuffing shop towels behind the p/s pump unit.

nothing...... no fluids leaking.

When I looked at it this morning with the engine idling, there was visible fluids.

Going to go pick up that wrench and will unbolt the p/s unit tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help so far guys.

Very possible it only happens when cold.
Nothing wet on the rack. Ran a shop towel around it.

Agreed that removing the pump will hopefully show me.

Didn't see a leak when idling. Only this morning when it was about 50F out. There was a hard freeze the past few nights.

Hopefully I'll see a leak when I get home.
Off to get the wrench. Will buy an extra pulley just in case.

Thanks again.

Btw, I haven't found that p/s high pressure line bracket. I'll keep looking. I just moved so it may be misplaced.

Don't need a pulley, they're a ***** to take off without the press and hard to get right without one. You won't need another pulley. I only got one when I swapped my pump out so I could just have the new pump with a pulley already on it to swap in.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got the pulley tool for many reasons. Works like a dream but probably an easy loaner if you don't have a frequent need.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love seeing the support here! This is why I belong to this forum! If you weren't in AZ I bet you would have a team of guys show up to help haha.

Carry on!

Latest posts

Members online