Engine internals may be destroyed..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AMG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure which engine you have in yours, but where is the oil pressure switch located on yours? Just wondering if that has blown out which may explain a couple of things? Steve

Sorry but I have been very busy with other things and have not had a chance get to the forums.

I have a 3.7 and I think I have located the problem..I will take some pics and post them ASAP
You must be registered for see images attach

the black arrow points to the small hole that is leaking the oil from the block

Last edited:

AMG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Timing chain......you figure it would try to punch through the block. I thought it was the oil pan gasket at first but when I looked closer at it I could see the crack right above the bolt in the pic.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so that's indeed what let go? or are you still speculating.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Timing chain......you figure it would try to punch through the block. I thought it was the oil pan gasket at first but when I looked closer at it I could see the crack right above the bolt in the pic.
Funny thing is the timing chains is nowhere close the motor mounts,there actually located on the outside of the cast iron block.

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not that bad of a job to pull the tchain cover and find out, but you'll need something comfortable to lay on, long pair of extensions and a flashlight so you can fish around in the tail pipe..

sorry.. See this proctologist lost his job due to cuts.. and went to mechanics school, for the final project they had to rebuild a motor.. the class got done and everyones motors ran great.. cept the proctologists.. his was missing.. backfiring.. but it ran.. he got the only A in the class.. Troy got mad and went to the teacher and was like .. Look .. why'd JL get an A and I didn't..

Teacher said .. well.. He did.. rebuild the motor.. and it .. does run.. but he did it all through the exhaust..

Sorry figured ya might need a laugh

Timing chain covers in the front, gotta disco the battery, drain the coolant, drop both radiator hoses, pull the elec fan and shroud, unbolt the ac compressor and suspend it to the side, unbolt the alternator and move it back pull off the harmonic balancer and belt/tensioner

and get the RTV right when ya put it back otherwise it'll leak like mine

if you don't have a friend or something that can help you do this.. buy a buncha hamburger and try to get a jeep meet going or something,

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah timing chains are up on the front of the engine, outside the iron block. Is there a hole in that picture we cant see? Is it a threaded hole, or a fractured hole?

AMG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wont know for sure until it starts to cool down here in Texas. 104 and 106 on a daily basis

My plan would be to pull the entire motor and replace...no need to go through all of that crack repair.

The only problem is I have a 2002 and from what I have read I must find another 2002 for the engine to drive properly

AMG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not that bad of a job to pull the tchain cover and find out, but you'll need something comfortable to lay on, long pair of extensions and a flashlight so you can fish around in the tail pipe..

sorry.. See this proctologist lost his job due to cuts.. and went to mechanics school, for the final project they had to rebuild a motor.. the class got done and everyones motors ran great.. cept the proctologists.. his was missing.. backfiring.. but it ran.. he got the only A in the class.. Troy got mad and went to the teacher and was like .. Look .. why'd JL get an A and I didn't..

Teacher said .. well.. He did.. rebuild the motor.. and it .. does run.. but he did it all through the exhaust..

Sorry figured ya might need a laugh

Timing chain covers in the front, gotta disco the battery, drain the coolant, drop both radiator hoses, pull the elec fan and shroud, unbolt the ac compressor and suspend it to the side, unbolt the alternator and move it back pull off the harmonic balancer and belt/tensioner

and get the RTV right when ya put it back otherwise it'll leak like mine

if you don't have a friend or something that can help you do this.. buy a buncha hamburger and try to get a jeep meet going or something,

:happy175: I have a buddy who will help me

Yeah timing chains are up on the front of the engine, outside the iron block. Is there a hole in that picture we cant see? Is it a threaded hole, or a fractured hole?

yes, there is a hole, I will go out and try to take a better pic..brb

Last edited:

AMG

Full Access Member
Reaction score

WELL BOYS....TIME FOR A NEW ENGINE

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, impact, broke a rode from the looks of it. Reminds me of a '00 Caravan that went thru a tulsa water puddle. Airfilter sits by the radiator on those things, and it sucked water into the engine and it locked the motor. Another tech took out the plugs, got the water out, changed the oil and put new plugs in, heard no noises, so he shipped it. Made it a week before a rod snapped on the back side and the end popped a window in the block like yours. It had bent the rod just a little when it hydro'd, and stress made it snap finally. *****, engine is in your future sir

AMG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I look at it to be a good thing, I purchased it used and I have been wanting to yank the engine out from day one so i could do some inspecting. Time for a makeover

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just wish we could drop in the new Pentastar and be done with the old and in with new.
Overall though the 3.7's have been fairly reliable, how many miles did you have on when head problem developed?

I don't know if I'd be too keen to use a Pentastar. Bought a 2011 Town & Country (yeah, I know) 2 months ago and dropped it off at the dealer today. It's running hot (109 centigrade, or 228F) and the coolant has turned rusty brown. I suspect a head gasket leak, but have also read that the blocks can be porous due to the high pressure casting method used to make them.