Engine Codes on 2006 Liberty 4x4, Also whirring sound.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigtexasthriller

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

We recently bought our first Jeep -- a 2006 Liberty 4x4....We really like it.

We have two issues, however.

The check engine light came on yesterday. Tried tightening the gas cap and it's still on. I've tried to retrieve the codes by turning it to Run 3 times, but only the mileage shows in the odometer section. Also read that you may need to hold down the odometer button while doing that, but that didn't work either. What am I doing wrong? Can you get codes on an '06 Liberty without a scanner?

Also, there's a whirring noise every time we accelerate if the fan's on. When we turn the fan off, there's no noise. Both when we're driving and when it's in idle....any ideas?

Thanks so much....

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't work on the '06. You need to connect a scantool to read the codes, sorry.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Autozone will scan your codes for free. Also, the whirring could be your alternator, it's under more of a load when the electric fan is running. It shouldn't be making noticeable noise though, and the whirring could be altogether something else.

bigtexasthriller

Reaction score
Thanks so much to both of you....

Kind of unfortunate that it doesn't work on the 06. But, yes, Autozone did indeed get the code for us....and they also checked the alternator for free....thanks again for that tip...

Thankfully, the engine code was gas cap related....even though I tightened it, we need to actually replace it....

Alternator was a good guess, and I had the same worry, but the alternator checked out okay....Turns out that it's likely the fan clutch....that was the Autozone guess, at least....

Putting in a new fan clutch seems pretty involved and above what I feel comfortable with.....We'll probably take it in.....

Bruceb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just going to throw my experience here, my 06 throws a check engine light with code for "improbable amount of gas" 1411. It would go away eventually, now I have a code checker to erase it ($15 on ebay). I've always had an issue with fueling at certain pumps, the "lock" keeps popping off unless I hold it at a certain angle. I've learned to not stress. Good Luck.