Electronic brake controller help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Outofideas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am planning installing a trailer brake controller that I have. I searched here and still not sure the best way. 2002 4x4 limited with evic and no trailer package.
I keep reading about hidden wires and needing to buy a harness from jeep. Can I just wire the controller independent off all this? Meaning from battery to controller and brake switch and direct to 7 pin plug and completely bypass all that? I already have a 7 pin multi plug with the 4 wire harness plugged into it.
Does anyone have pics of where you installed a controller inside? I have a draw tite model of the prodigy controller and says can be mounted nearly any position 360 degrees as long as straight inline front to back.
Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Direct answer to your question: Yes, you can install your controller without having to buy the Jeep harness.

But you're half-pregnant here. You'll need to use the blue brake wire described in the How-To section since it is the brake switch you reference and provides the signal to the controller. So that's the stock/OEM part of the equation. Then you'll need to determine how your controller is supposed to plug into the 7-pin round harness you've installed. That depends on the controller and the harness you have and where/how you've run the wiring.

As far as installing the controller...most have it either in the little cubby under the HVAC controls or on the kick panel directly in front of your right knee. My knee isn't too far from that panel (long leg syndrome) so the cubby works best. Have to do some modding to the cubby in order to make room for the controller but it will work.

It's too bad you've already got the 7-pin; since your Jeep has the EVIC (I assume from the factory?) you only needed to buy the 7-pin OEM harness. The factory EVIC wiring eliminates the need for the supplemental harness that's hard to find now. You would have plugged in the 7-pin Jeep harness, found and connected the blue brake controller wire under the dash to the controller and start towing. You just have a few extra steps now.

Let us know what you end up doing! :party52:

Bob

Outofideas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! So the wire tucked away is actually the 12 v signal from the brake switch? If so, I can tap that, get my neg/pos then run a single wire to the back of the vehicle?

Outofideas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finished installing the controller finally. Had to install on the left side of the steering as the obd connector is to the right. Fits good but may move out a little so more access to the top controls. I found the control wire behind the kick panel but ended up running the control with all it's own wiring and also ran a separate 12v wire to the trailer plug that will be connected to power later. Just need my bigger camper now ( hopefully soon!)
You must be registered for see images attach

RoadToad

Reaction score
Thanks! So the wire tucked away is actually the 12 v signal from the brake switch? If so, I can tap that, get my neg/pos then run a single wire to the back of the vehicle?

1) No. It is the wire that will send the voltage/current to the 7-pin "Brake" contact. This passes on through to the Magnets in the brake drums on the axle.
You connect it to the Brake Controllers output lead.

2) A connection from the Controller to the vehicles Brake switch (cold side)is required to allow the Controller to "fake" the cruise control into releasing when the Controller is MANUALLY activated. This connection is to "give" a signal to the vehicle; not to "get" a signal from it.