Electrical / Speedo / CD Player / Hatch Release

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ztel

Reaction score
02 Liberty Sport, 4x4, 3.7L, Automatic

So I have a few electrical issues in my Jeep. Not entirely sure if they are connected or separate issues. Here is a novel of information for clarity's sake.

1) Speedometer freezes, but always snaps to where it should be when I lightly tap on the top of the dash or the panel by my knees.

*I'd like to note that the common "rear speed sensor / parking brake cable / wiring / pigtail" is not the issue here. My jumpy speedo was a problem before and after I replaced the wiring back there.

2) My CD player intermittently works/quits. Player worked find when I got the Jeep. Started out making a static kind of noise over the speakers (not skipping), and then says "ERR" and ejects the disk. Got worse over time and now it won't accept any cd (there is physical resisitance and it starts spinning the disc as soon as it slides in the slot).

3) On rare occasions, the glass hatch at the back will open on its own. I can hear the release mechanism. Usually after this happens, the glass won't close until I press the hatch button on the key fob. Usually happens a few times close together and then isn't a problem for a while.

NOTES:

A) When I do the DASH SELF ACTUATOR TEST, the speedo (and everything else) works fine. The circuit board and the connectors on the instrument cluster are clean. I suspect its something outside of the cluster. Could be wrong.

B) As mentioned before, I had this problem a long time ago. Then my speedo dropped out completely. I replaced the wiring to the speed sensor and it returned to intermittent functionality as before. Very lightly tapping the dash in various places causes a reaction, so I believe it's something electrical near the driver seat.

C) The radio and all other functions on the stereo work, and the cd player doesn't skip. It just made loud white noise and then gave me an error. Could this be related to a short or bad ground? Or is this a common issue in a failing cd player?

D) Battery seems to be in great shape, terminal connections are clean, battery is clean, holds a charge for ages if I forget to turn the lights off. Never a problem starting.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows much about the electrical system in that area. Could these problems have a common root? Maybe a bad ground or a dirty harness somewhere? Or is it just a coincidence that a bunch of electrical problems popped up at once? Would love some help on this one.

Thanks.

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard you can have all sorts of strange electrical things happen with a bad battery. As you stated the connections are clean and in good condition I would recommend having the battery load tested just to rule that possibility out.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Do you have the CD changer? When mine crapped out it was constantly shuffling the CDs and not accepting disks.

ztel

Reaction score
The faceplate has all the buttons for the changer but I never managed to get it to load more than one so I don't think it has the changer. It does make a lot of crazy whining noise from time to time, which stops briefly if I tap the dash right above the cd player.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do a gauge sweep. If it stick but moves when you tap on it, could be a bad cluster. Take the cluster apart and make sure the needle is not pressed down too far. Had that issue with the gas gauge after I swapped to LEDs and I pulled it out some because it was pushed down too far

2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7L with brand new engine ;)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ztel

Reaction score
Borrowing my Boss' multimeter tomorrow. I'll test the battery and check whatever grounds I can find. Can anyone point me to the BCM ground and / or any other grounds that are worth checking?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Borrowing my Boss' multimeter tomorrow. I'll test the battery and check whatever grounds I can find. Can anyone point me to the BCM ground and / or any other grounds that are worth checking?

Download the 2002 JeepKJ Service Manual here...includes the Wiring Diagrams.

Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ

I agree that this could be a bad ground...the circuit diagrams will give you the various grounds eg. G122. In the Location section of the wiring diagram you get a table that shows where these Ground Points, Connectors, Splices etc. are located...with pictures usually.

If you switch the ignition OFF while the speedo gauge is stuck does the needle return to zero? If not then it is a physical problem with the gauge itself...the dial may be bent and touching the face of the dial.

The rear gate will always Open/Close if you disconnect/connect the battery so this would seem to indicate that power suddenly drops to the rear gate...a bit difficult to find this when it is intermittant but use the wiring diagrams to trace the wiring to the rear latch and see if there are any cables fraying to ground or a dirty connector.

You CD player is probably shot....my one channel is dead so I need to have a look at it sometime but again you could have a frayed wire or bad connection...even a loose fuse can cause these problems.

The BCM is very involved with these above problems...worth disconnecting the battery and re-plugging the connectors on the BCM a few times. Also remove the kick panel and the dash panel area that seems to have loose connection behind it.

When I had a loose connection on the rear diff sensor my Speedo would go up to about 40 kmh and stay there no matter what speed I was doing...fixing the bad connector fixed the problem...nothing like your problem though where tapping around the dash fixes the problem but the same section of wiring may be involved here!

Last edited: