Electrical problem...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cwoodliberty

Reaction score
Okay, here is the situation that I have come across. The 2002 Liberty has started to act up. The rear wiper blade started to come on when ever the brake was applied. (No big deal, some problem with the wiring between the wiper motor, and the brake lights).

So now, driving along, smoke starts coming out from under the dash (electrical burning smell), the interior lights stay on, even when she's shut off, and the left exterior lights stay on as well.

Took the panels off under the instrument panel, and there are no signs of any burnt or chared wires.

Even pulled back the carpeting and took out the drivers seat to check the wires there, and nothing. There's no signs of any burning or charing at the fire wall, and no damages under the hood either.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this happening???

Smeltn

Reaction score
my interior lights are staying on for some reason, just started today... I made sure the switches were off and everything. Anyone have any idea's what could cause this?

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, here is the situation that I have come across. The 2002 Liberty has started to act up. The rear wiper blade started to come on when ever the brake was applied. (No big deal, some problem with the wiring between the wiper motor, and the brake lights).

So now, driving along, smoke starts coming out from under the dash (electrical burning smell), the interior lights stay on, even when she's shut off, and the left exterior lights stay on as well.

Took the panels off under the instrument panel, and there are no signs of any burnt or chared wires.

Even pulled back the carpeting and took out the drivers seat to check the wires there, and nothing. There's no signs of any burning or charing at the fire wall, and no damages under the hood either.

Did you ever get it figured out?

Kinda sounds like a bad BCM or something to do with the wiring very close to it.

NanoCar

Reaction score

I was thinking if it smell like antifreeze? But most likely its a sort of electrical overheating. Check on the wiring harness at night with the hood up when the temperature is ok, then repair if you have noticed arcing. Or better yet, check on the brakes of your jeep liberty. Or does it have been into an accident? its possible something bumped hard enough to have the wire harness loosen or something and get it rubbing on another part..

Last edited: