Electrical going haywire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T0DD

Reaction score
I know this is probably not the correct area to post, however I did so to hopefully get a greater response.

My 2005 Liberty died today. I got in after going to a store, turned the key, and got nothing. Then I noticed that the rear gate lock kept locking and unlocking. Kept trying and trying to start it still got nothing. I took the fuse out for the power locks to stop the rear gate from doing so.

As I was waiting for AAA, I was playing around with other switches. The headlights would not turn on, but when switched to on, it would continuosly click.

Turned the key to accessory, and the radio worked fine.

Turned the key to on, the dash light would go on when jiggling the key as would the buzzer.

Now the really weird thing, when turning on the emergency flashers a loud whining noise would start.

I need help, No vehicle, no work, no money.

Thank you in advance,

Todd

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Probably your battery. Check that.

Dave

VooDoo

Reaction score
I would also check the alternator. Sudden death of a battery after a drive says you were not charging as you were driving.

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup sounds like a battery, mine did the same thing the one time it died,
clicking in the rear gate and nothing, and that was after just comming home for a bit

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
AHH,Welcome to the Club,as stated by others the battery is done.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Hijack on(wonder if other newer vehicles act weird over the battery)Hijack off

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also check the alternator. Sudden death of a battery after a drive says you were not charging as you were driving.

I'd have to disagree. If your alternator is not charging while you drive you will know. Sudden death means the battery just kicked the bucket. It happens more times than not and usually without warning.

Change your expired battery folks... even if it is still working.

T0DD

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replys. The battery is the original, the alternator is about 10 months old.

I'm going to get a new battery tonight. I'll check back in with ya and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Original?! Jebus!!!!

I'm surprised it's just NOW dying!

<-- replaces batteries after 3 years regardless of whether it's dead or still hanging on, as batteries typically fail at the worst possible time.

T0DD

Reaction score
Fixed!!

That was easy.

I was expecting the worst when everything was malfunctioning.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've often heard that a failing battery can cause mysterious symptoms however I've run my battery dry, yes completely dry, a few times and I've never seen any odd behavior. But then again it is an Energizer deep cycle battery.
You must be registered for see images attach

Another great WalMart buy at $99. Really you don't require a deep cycle battery unless you have a winch or a 110 inverter.

Even though it keeps on resurrecting itself after a charge I feel it's beginning to turn over more slowly. Time to shop for a new one.