ElecTape's Deep Beryl Green Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ElecTape

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I was excited about doing this and was hoping for some interaction.

Ok back to the good stuff.

So, now that I have all of my cables run to the back it's time to see if I can stuff 10lbs. of Audio into this tailgate. lol. I started by crating a surface to work from.

You must be registered for see images attach

Now that I know what I have to work with I can figure everything else out. So the box begins.

I figured out that I would have to mount the 2 subs on one side due to cabling length. I also want to make sure that I have space for extra cabling and the amp. so here is the box starting to take shape.

Yea, I know I missed some nails with the nail gun. Its been awhile since I did this stuff as a kid so I chalk it up to my eye aren't what they used to be lol. That's why the make dikes right?
So I have some additional pieces to glue and nail into the box, and some holes to cut.

My buddy figured he better label stuff for me so I wouldn't forget what goes there. I thought that was rather nice of him. Yeah!

Now to test fit it back and figure out how to secure it to the tailgate so that it doesn't wind up in the front seat with me if I have to panic stop for some reason. With this all figured out I took some time to router out a trim panel for the front and test fit all my equipment.

Like I'm not going to know that's the bottom of what I made. Lol So all the test fits went well. So since he was nice enough to label everything I figured I would fill his truck bed full of sawdust and router all the edges on the box using his Tailgate work surface. Fair!

So now to stretch some fleece over the box here and there and apply some fiberglass & resin to make it rock hard.

With all the glass work done and smoothed up its time to prime the visible areas for paint.

Add apply paint.

I also took a few minutes away from smelling all the fumes to install a rearview camera for backing up.

ElecTape

Reaction score
With the box coming along I need to figure out where to mount the power fuse up front and a place to add additional fuse mounts for some other planned goodies I'll be adding. So to my ABS plastic stash.

Measure once, cut twice! Heat here and there and do the bendy thing!

Little bit of trimming here and there and a hole or two along with a grommet and Ta-Da!

And to put it in the KJ.

With that out of the way its back to the box. Add a little bit of sound deadening here and there for some good measure.

Now to pad it to make it nice and soft!

Then it's time for the carpet to match the interior.

Now to finish it off with the front cover in a nice vinyl wrap.

Add a fan to help the amplifier cool and some sexy disco lighting. I'm hopping that's still cool in this day and age.

Trust me I fix the corners, again it's been awhile since I did some of this stuff. lol

I think that's going to be my mantra! lol

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You are doing things completely opposite of what most everyone does when they buy a used vehicle
You have a ton of work on sounds, no doubt and looks to be first class, where as most would start by changing every fluid from front to rear, get the right size tires all around, new plugs, filters, upgrade the sagging suspension etc
Just a different approach you are taking for sure
I said first class since stock radio does it for me, I hardly ever have any sounds on , just did a 6 hour trip one way by myself coming home from my wifes home, and never had anything to listen to except the motor and tires :) LOL and honking at stupid drivers !!

ElecTape

Reaction score
SO, I'm having some issues when it comes to interior lights. Ugh!

Why couldn't they just use the old 194 bulbs and make it simple. Nope! Jeep decided we need to use like the most uncommon bulbs in the world. Or at least that's what it seems like.

So the AC controls have a bulb out. I order what I believe is the correct ones.

Nope to big. Ok lets try these. Nope to small. Ok third times the charm right, Well sort of. Yes but because everything is LED now the color is way too obnoxious. Sigh!

OK, I can work with this, right.

The radio gives me the ability to match the color of the lights cool. So now lets swap out the bulb in the shifter.

So my question is, is there an easy way to get to this bulb?

Then I notice I've got lights out in the gauge cluster. Ugh! Again, I know what they are... PC74's right? order some replacements and they don't work. Its not a polarity thing because they are LED its, that the new bulbs don't have the metal tabs to grab the current from the other side of the PC board. WTH! Right?

Any suggestions folks?

I don't need colored lights really, I just want to see the gauges at night. LOL

Ok enough of a rant. More build!

So with the weather changing I stuck with some rain, so I had to switch up stuff to do. So I worked on cleaning up some of the other trim work.

Hazed over headlights and fog lights. A few minutes with some sandpaper and buffer and...

Almost like new! I ordered some replacement lens for the signals since I was sloppy with my tape job, and of course they were both cracked.

And since its raining, You guessed it, we need new wiper blades all around.

Can't put new wipers blades on rusty looking wiper arms right. So time to clean those up and repaint.

Sand them for paint.

Add new black paint.

Can't forget the buttons either.

Now to put everything back on.

ElecTape

Reaction score
You are doing things completely opposite of what most everyone does when they buy a used vehicle
You have a ton of work on sounds, no doubt and looks to be first class, where as most would start by changing every fluid from front to rear, get the right size tires all around, new plugs, filters, upgrade the sagging suspension etc
I said first class since stock radio does it for me, I hardly ever have any sounds on , just did a 6 hour trip one way by myself coming home from my wifes home, and never had anything to listen to except the motor and tires :) LOL and honking at stupid drivers !!

Quit rushing me! LOL

Yeah, I guess it looks like that. Generally I tackle that stuff first when I buy a just car. Luckily the oil was changed right when we bought the vehicle. I've already replaced the air filter, Have the plugs on hand and the fuel filter to replace as well. Just haven't gotten that far. I'm not driving the jeep so these aren't at the top of the list to do right now. My main goal was to get the stuff finished that cold weather would stop me from doing.

Tires and lift are on the agenda

ElecTape

Reaction score
Well I got the roof tackle with the wrap. That was rough, not sure I would do that again, the ridges make it a PITA to do. The pics don't do it justice.

I also sanded and buffed up the rear 3rd brake light since it was hazed over too.

Since the rain has let up, I was able to get back on the radio. Got the box secured to the tailgate and the wiring run into it.

Time to add the subs and grills.

And to install the amplifier and adjust it.

I made a insert for the side with a couple of switches so I could turn on the lights if I want them and hide the wiring access. I know the L brackets look like poop. I'll come up with something else later on.

Some night shoots.

Well with all of that out of the way it's time to get into more of the mechanical stuff. That'll be next time.

ElecTape

Reaction score

Thinking about it, Maybe I should have said.... I need the radio so I don't have to listen to the bad suspension and running of the jeep. lol

ElecTape

Reaction score
So I got a little time to mess with the KJ again so I did a little more upgrades and checking stuff out.

Did the hood wrap with some flat black. I was going to do more of a copy of my Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk but decided to change it up a bit.

Funny thing, when I took this picture I got to wondering where the license plate went. It was on there the other day. Wonder if it fell off or someone stole it. Lol.

I replaced the hood ornament as well.

Since I ran over to a buddy's shop to do the wrap I got a chance to really drive the jeep and see if I could find any issues with it. During the drive I smelled coolant while running the heat so I guess I need to order a heater core. Might as well replace the Evaporator while I'm in then since I bet I'll need to open up the AC system to do the heater core.

I also took some time to start the lift kit, and check out brakes and other parts under the jeep. Removed the old factory stuff.

Well the shocks are trashed, go figure. Brakes actually in good shape. I took the time to flush the fluid in the lines to the rear. Couldn't believe i broke a 1/2" to 3/4" socket adaptor trying to break lugs free. Man were they tight. I'll make sure to put some anti seize on them before they go back on. Checked the diff fluid and was in good shape, surprisingly. So finished up with the lift.

Luckily its a Husky so I'll make a run to Home Depot to exchange it out.

I know the shock boots aren't really needed but I thought I would add some color. lol

Now to get some time to tackle the front and put these in.

Well until next time.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sad :(
All that work, had great hopes for your KJ
All the time and money spent on a sound system and other upgrades
Then I see an RC spacer lift :(

Plus never use anti seize on lug nuts
it creates a false reading when tightening the lug nuts up

Sorry, just being honest and seeing what happens with spacer lifts on KJs over the years
I have an RC, a RRO and a Rustys in the shop just to show customers what they want to avoid

Last edited:

ElecTape

Reaction score
Sad :(
All that work, had great hopes for your KJ
All the time and money spent on a sound system and other upgrades
Then I see an RC spacer lift :(

Yeah, I spent the weekend tearing down the front end and fitting the spacers. Didn't like the way they fit and how they over extend and stress the front end. So they didn't go on.

I also had to order Upper and Lower Ball joints and decided to just order replacement control arms with all new bushings and ball joints since the wear was concerning and I didn't feel like spending all the time on the press to press all those parts in and out.

So the plan now is to swap out some ARB/OME 2927 springs up front for the lift and add a little bit of a spacer if I need be to level it out with the new shocks and keep the rear lift springs and shocks for now. I may address those later but trying to keep costs under control since I've run into some unexpected expenses with this build I wasn't anticipating.

Additional projects with this are:

• (install) New Heater Core and Evaporator since I have to replace the heater core.
  • (install) New Carpet kit & floor mats going in.
  • (Install) New Brake Lines all around.
  • (Finish) Front end rebuild and lift.
  • New Tires coming soon.
  • (Install) Factory front tow hooks- May Powder coat those red, thoughts?
  • Still need to finish buffing out the scratches on the outside.
  • I'm not thrilled with the roof wrap so I may pull it and just paint it.
  • Thinking of powder coating the wheels in an argent gray as well to update the look.
  • Make custom Light bar mounting brackets.
  • (Install) Curved LED Light Bar.
Lol, I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

So now its a waiting gave for parts to arrive to continue to move forward. I'll update as I go forward.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
So glad you’re springing for the OME suspension! (Pun intended) ;)

Most times people get their minds set on doing a spacer lift and end up putting it on anyway, leading to frustration and more $$$ spent down the road. Kudos to you for reconsidering! :)

Let us know if you need anything with all of the installs you have planned. Exciting to see your KJ get a new life.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Glad to hear you are at least doing the front the right way
get either Bilstein or OME shocks and front will be good for many miles
use only Moog greaseable front lower ball joints , unless you like replacing them often
and unless you are mounting the LED lightbar on the bumper, forget it
useless on the roof unless you like to spend a lot of miles offroad or ticking people and the cops off

I ran roof lights on several 4x4s over the years
used them a very few times
Had Hellas on the 04 for years, used them 2 times , then went to full length RL rack with light bar and used it once, worthless if on any type of dusty road
then if wheeling with others, you are blinding them
I love my lights on the bumper, running Vison X Light Cannons and can see very well
Of course have them set up on a food switch to tap off when oncoming traffic is coming
The JK LED fog lights take over then

Last edited:

ElecTape

Reaction score
SO.... Tire question..

I'm thinking on going with set of Kumho Road Venture AT51 - in P245/75R16 or should I opt for the P265/70R16 I realize the main difference is a bit more width here with the 265. Thoughts?

It's a shame I just can't stuff some SS TSL 34X9/16's up under her. lol

So I have been refurbishing the roof trim to go back on. Repainting and adding new double side adhesive.

Also dug up a green switch pod I may use.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Stock width wheels go 245-75-16s
I'm running 245-65-17s on the 05
and 265-70-16s on the 03 in the Kumho Road Venture AT51s
did great last winter in snow on the 05 so went with them on the 03 this year as well, pretty quiet, and dig wheel

would not give ya nickle for 4 TSLs in any size , guy gave me a almost new set, 38s , installed them on my 4X4 Dodge van and within 2 months pulled them off , knew then why he gave them away

Good luck on the nilight switch panel, customer gave me one to wire up his lights, started smoking 3rd time he used them and yes everything was wired up correctly
installed new switch panel and worked fine

ElecTape

Reaction score
Ok so its been a bit since I gave an update.

So I recently added the factory Tow hooks to the front. If you haven't done this, its not real hard to do it just requires you to pull off the front bumper cover.

So after the cover is off you'll need to remove these boxes in the image below:

Once removed you can slide in the mounting brackets.

There is also a clip that slides into the factory bumper support that I didn't take a picture of. Then you just bolt up the hook in place.

I chose to cut away the plastic for the hook for easier access. A Hobby knife was perfect for this.

ElecTape

Reaction score
So some of you remember that I noticed after I fixed the AC that I had a smell of Antifreeze when running the heat in the Liberty. I also occasionally got a steamed up windshield. Well these are the signs of a bad heater core. This is not a fun job to do since you have to pull the dash pretty much.

So I had a buddy capture the R134 I had in the AC system since I was going to pull the dash. Trying to be environmentally responsible.

With the Freon gone I now can pull the dash. I also decided to replace the Evaporator since I'm going to be in there. Its fairly cheap and just good insurance so I don't have to do it later. So I took some images of the fun I had.

Stripping the seats from the Liberty.

You'll need to remove the center console as well. It helps to drop the steering wheel too.

A buddy is a great help on this project. You'll need help to pull the Heater core out if you don't actually completely remove the dash from the jeep.

You can see the heater core sitting there. Now under the hood you'll need to remove the water tank and disconnect you heater hoses and AC Condenser from the evaporator lines.

Here's another image under the hood.

Now to pull the heater core completely out of the jeep.

The heater Core.

ElecTape

Reaction score
Ironically this is a good time to change sparkplugs too. Since you've pulled the coolant overflow you can get to the 2 rear plugs on the passenger side.

With the Heater Core out You'll need to take out a ton of screws to separate it into two halves.

Take the time to clean the inside out too while you have it apart.

All back together with new parts installed, and everything clean and shinny inside.

Now for the fun part, shoving it back behind the dash. LOL Joy! 4 hands or more really help here!

ElecTape

Reaction score
Once the dash was all back together, I took the opportunity to pull the carpet out to replace it. I ordered a replacement carpet kit which arrived and was the wrong color. Argh! It also was not at all what I expected, no padding, the molding was not right and lots of other issues. So I sent it back! The Girlfriend decided to pressure wash the carpet which came out real good, so I decided to just put it back in and go with it. I also ordered some of the Husky liners floor matts for it. So I think that will be good.

Since the seats are out I stripped the covers off the 2 front ones and ran them thru the washing machine to get them sparkling clean.

They are filthy.

I still have the rear seat to disassemble and clean.

A buddy of mine let me rummage thru his junkyard and snag some parts that I needed. So I finally got me a handful of the dash light bulbs to get the dash to light up properly. I was getting tired of ordering pulls off the internet and they not being correct. Even though the part numbers are correct. I also stumbled into a 2002 Limited with steering wheel audio controls which I snagged to see if I could get them to work. I did!

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Impressive work!!

Pulling the dash to do a heater core is not for the faint of heart! :)

Latest posts

Members online