E-rated tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chalk test???

Go to a flat surface and take some chalk. Draw a line across the tire and drive 100 feet or so and back. Get out and look at the chalk line. If it's worn off on the inside of the tire but not the outside that means you need to air down, vice versa. You keep doing this until it wears evenly.

Now the chalk test doesn't meant it's the PSI to give you the best ride.. It's just the PSI to give you the evenest wear across the whole tire. So it could feel to soft for your liking and you may want to sacrifice comfort over wear. It's really up to you.

It's also very time consuming and trial and error. And this will only work if the tires and wheels are even in size. If the tires are wider and on a skinnier wheel the test really will not give accurate results.

In all honesty it's all going to be different for each person and each vehicle for each tire/wheel combination...

I was wrong when I said to always use the chalk test... instead, always use common sense and what feels the best to you. Obviously if the chalk test says to run at 16psi that's not a smart move(on road)

Mike205

Reaction score
When I bought my 245/75/16 BFG KO2s they were only available in E. I don't mind though. I have been stranded more than once due to a punctured sidewall. The ride is a bit jarring. I got them at fletchers and they set them at 40psi.(BFGoodrich said to put them between 40 and 50psi) I let down to 38psi but after reading these comments I may bump down to 35psi.
Having said that, next time I will go to a 31/10.50/15. If I had known I could fit 15" wheels I would have done that in the first place.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Depends on the manufacturer, I had considered going to Ten Ply because of the longevity they provide over a standard tire when not worked. I've seen some Ten Ply's that have lasted 80k miles and looked good for another 20 at least. What I have been taught is when you have a Ten Ply, a non load PSI should be about 65, when loaded you want to run the 80 cold recommendation. After you are done with your heavy load you put them back down to 65. Reason why is since its a High PSI tire any less than 65 is considered under inflation on them. This comes from the horses mouth of a major tire manufacturer.

P-rated Duratracs, installed at 129,000 miles, now 218,000 miles and between 6 and 7/32s left on.
Running a 10 ply with 65 pounds will do only one thing, wear out the center of the tread on a KK / KJ
10 plys are for very heavy trucks, period