Dumb Sound System Questions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I blew my second set of door speakers (Infinity) last week and have decided to get a new HU and speakers as well.

The HU I'm looking at is this one:

You must be registered for see images

Dumb question time.

Would I need a separate amp to power the new speakers?

Should I, could I, and if so, how would I include the dash mounted speakers as well. Crossover/splice from the front door speakers? Should I replace those too?

My cargo area is full all of the time with tools and parts (unless I'm on vacation or evacuating from a hurricane) so I won't be putting anything back there.

Would the Mopar (under seat) sub be plug and play with a new system?

Speaker recommendations?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
If you do not have the Infinity sound system, then you can hook the amp up to the front speaker channels. You would have to manually take the wires from the dash speakers, and re-route them to NOT be, or to be on the amp you add. The door and dash are on the same channel, so you have two on the front right, and two on the front left.

The infinity systems have an amp, but you can still splice and dice the wires the way you want them to go, it's not all that difficult. You can do this AT the wire harness at the radio, or after the infinity amp using high-level inputs.

The Factory subwoofer is made for the OE head units, but you can wire it manually to an AMP, that is run off the SUBWWOFER outputs on the head-unit.

RenegadeJay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does one know if they have the better stereo and speaker set up? Is the stock amp like Fords and behind the head unit or in the rear of the vehicle?

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does one know if they have the better stereo and speaker set up? Is the stock amp like Fords and behind the head unit or in the rear of the vehicle?

The amps are attached to the front door speakers:

You must be registered for see images

Been doing a LOT of reading up on this project and think I have all bases covered. I'll create a new thread when I start the install.

timmer

Treyz02KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

My factory head unit was amplified, as far as I know Liberties don't have amplifiers for the speakers. The speakers do have crossovers on them though

Premium speaker thread

so in closing, When I removed my factory HU, all that was left was the speakers and some crossovers, I've been using a 220w head unit for over a year, making sure I try as hard as I can every time I get in and turn it on to blow the factories so I can get some JBL's. No luck so far. =) they are holding in there like champs.

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My factory head unit was amplified, as far as I know Liberties don't have amplifiers for the speakers. The speakers do have crossovers on them though

Premium speaker thread

so in closing, When I removed my factory HU, all that was left was the speakers and some crossovers, I've been using a 220w head unit for over a year, making sure I try as hard as I can every time I get in and turn it on to blow the factories so I can get some JBL's. No luck so far. =) they are holding in there like champs.

I believe those are amps and crossovers attached to the speakers no matter what Blake says. Otherwise, why would there be 12v going into the connector?

Also, can you see the way the assy looks like a big heat-sink? Why would that be there if it was just a crossover? Not to mention the thermal compound (which you can still see) on the mating pieces.

I read somewhere else here (?) where the "premium" setup is rated at 160W.

Last edited:

kjman2009

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know what would make my stock (non premium) HU keep coming up with an error message when i put burned cd's in? This just started yesterday and I'm starting to worry about whether my cd's are crap or something with the HU.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Id the CDs worked before, then don't now, then it's not the CDs.

Try a cleaner, there could be a haze over the lens, from condensation and thaws, it gets like a foggy coating after a long while. Then, there's just a bad laser or lens, or doesn't track properly.

I bought a HU with USB port, and SD card slot, and Aux in. Everything I have is now on three SD cards... One SD card is in a 7-n-1 card reader, that is plugged into the USB port, so there are always TWO SD cards ready to play; 1 in the HU, and the one in the CARD reader. I can use other cards in the reader too, just one at a time.

Members online

No members online now.