Driving Lights discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am trying to get some lights setup for improved visibility in certain areas and also for the better looks.

I know many people have Hella 500s as driving lights, and although I consider them first, I am also looking for something in black housing, or a little bit smaller, to go to the roof.

I came up with three options. Hella 500s, Rallye 4000 and Hella 1300s.
4000s do not come with relay/harness, so that's added cost, makes it over $100 a pair, and with 4 lights it is pricy, but looks very good.
1300s are smaller, almost half of 500s, but they would mimic the look of mopar light bar, and somewhat easier to mount.

What do you think?

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I will not turn them on in highway. Just side roads or places where visibility is poor.

semper_rideo

Reaction score
Get the 4000s. Also, check your local laws. It's illegal to even drive without opaque covers in CA.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JB2 is right, in most states aftermarket roof lights aren't DOT approved.

More lamps isn't always better unless they're HID. Too many people make the mistake of mounting as many lights as possible without thinking of the required power. And HID's are becoming cheaper everyday.

Myself I have a pair of Hella700FF driving lamps on my bumper with the stock 55 watt bulbs. I'm considering upgrading to 100 watts, the lamp will handle it.

I like the 700FF's because they are a big bigger than the 500's, they cost about the same and the lens is in the reflector

Latest posts

Members online