Drivetrain problems...Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

night_tracker

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just bought a used 03 JP Renegade with 80k miles on it and the car seems to rattle from the rear when doing sharp coners, sounds like its coming from the differentials.

When ever I switch into any 4WD and back to 2WD, the drivetrain seems to lock up and would not allow me to freely drive in reverse.. Meaning, when the gear is in reverse, the car will not move on its own but when none of the 4WD is touched, the car will move on its own with out stepping on gas. Also, during a u turn, the inside tire leaves a tread mark on the road pavement. All this happens when the 4wd is mess with.

Any suggestions on how to fix or work the 4wd.

thanks

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
In short, regarding the 4WD issues:

Do Not Use 4WD High Part Time on Pavement. What's happening is, your wheels are binding. That's NOT good and you could possibly break something. You're lucky all that was left was a tire mark on the pavement. Keep it in 2WD unless there's a lot of snow on the ground or something.

Can't help ya with the rattles though.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In short, regarding the 4WD issues:

Do Not Use 4WD High Part Time on Pavement. What's happening is, your wheels are binding. That's NOT good and you could possibly break something. You're lucky all that was left was a tire mark on the pavement. Keep it in 2WD unless there's a lot of snow on the ground or something.

Can't help ya with the rattles though.

you know people preach this but do you really belive it?
I say this because I have a LOCKED rear dana 44 in my TJ and if I make a HARD U-turn in the parking lot in 2wd it leaves 2 marks where the tires were so by this theory I could break something on my rear end
just pointing it out

Now I do agree that 4wd part time should not be used on the street but...
as far as the noises you will have to find what is making the noise and fix it
with out hearing the jeep no one can say 100% it is this

as far as the not going back when in 4wd and reverse
it is trying to move more stuff try 4wd low it will go back easy
the trany you have does not have a very low reverse gear so 4wd low is your friend

night_tracker

Reaction score
So to my understanding, it is normal to switch from 4wd back to 2wd and have a locking differentail. The only time when the differential lock on 2wd is when I touch any 4wd ingagement. The locking differential will become unlock when I turn off the engine and leave it out for a while, other than that, I'm kinda scare to switch to 4wd because of this.

I don't have the manual on how to work the 4wd (PT, low) and high. Can I switch it on the fly, or what MPH can the PT, low, high handle.

thanks

Latest posts

Members online