Driveline mystery noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02Geep

Reaction score
I’ve had this noise I’ve been trying to figure out for a couple months. It’s a cyclic low-pitched rubbing/grinding sound. It’s not a clicking sound. Speed dependent-doesn’t really change pitch, just “rotates” faster.

A lot of related posts about front driveline noises seem to lead to CVs, inner front axle, or front driveshaft. I checked wheel bearings, CVs and driveshafts for play/damage and there is nothing out of the ordinary. Everything is nice and solid. Compared it to my bro-in-law’s ‘05 and it feels/looks the same.

-After highway driving, when cruising @ 35-45 mph, slightly pressing the gas and putting load on the driveline causes it to make even more noise, but too much torque mutes the sound. As does braking really hard.

-Especially noticeable when turning nearly full-lock to the left and driving in a circle or making sharp lefts from a stop. Does not make the sound when turning full lock right.

-The strangest part is that the sound is only present in 2wd. I could not replicate the sound in 4wd.

-Ruled out tires. I rotated them and aired them up.
-Ruled our brakes. Just changed pads and rotors.

Has anyone experienced an issue like this and found a fix? Thanks!!