Drive shaft ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Martin Jackson

Reaction score
I may be seeing it wrong, but it looks like the 4 bolts did their job. They held the rear yoke to the flan g e. It looks like the rear pinion just sheared off. seems to be a pinion issue not a bolt issue?

EDIT - Why is flan,ge a bad word?
Flan,ge is a vul,gar slang word for a ladies private parts (at least in the UK)

XWrench3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am glad to see you have a mechanic lined up. but you (he) needs to figure out WHY this happened before you buy a bunch of parts. if something in the transfer case or transmission let loose, it may very well not be worth fixing.

CoryScott

Reaction score
2007 Jeep Liberty, was driving yesterday on highway and the drive shaft fell off. Had it towed to my mechanic and he refused to take it saying it would cost $3000 to $4000 to fix it. He said the car was totaled. I don't disagree, the car is probably worth $2000 or so. I have never had a drive shaft fall off and I am assuming its not only the drive shaft (according to mechanic) Anyone have any idea what it would cost to repair ? Thanks
If it was the constant velocity hub on thr transfer case side of the front driveshaft, you will nedd a new driveshaft. Ive broken 2 on my liberties and 4 on dodge Dakota which is designed with same components. The snap ring that holds the cv hub on the driveshaft comes off. I now service the slide on my driveshaft ls with lucas 5th wheel and slider ****.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t see a problem with your driveshaft. You’ve snapped your rear axle’s pinion gear. I know because I’ve done the same.

You need to have the rear axle’s gears replaced. Depending on the garage shop rates it could be expensive.

I had the same thing happen to my 04 Liberty Sport.
Like you I snapped the rear axle pinion gear. I chose to simply swap out the axle than to replace the gears because I had no idea if I trashed the axle housing.

i don’t recall the total cost but it was probably less than a thousand dollars. The junkyard axle cost me $150, new brake hardware, pads & rotors and new seals. My buddy and I did the wrench work.

Attachments

• EC86A622-1D43-4543-B7C7-EE079CEC3794.jpeg
    EC86A622-1D43-4543-B7C7-EE079CEC3794.jpeg
    399.4 KB · Views: 23
  • B82E0083-1EF6-4E51-896F-617780B73FC9.jpeg
    B82E0083-1EF6-4E51-896F-617780B73FC9.jpeg
    293.3 KB · Views: 22

DHBirren2

Reaction score
2007 Jeep Liberty, was driving yesterday on highway and the drive shaft fell off. Had it towed to my mechanic and he refused to take it saying it would cost $3000 to $4000 to fix it. He said the car was totaled. I don't disagree, the car is probably worth $2000 or so. I have never had a drive shaft fall off and I am assuming its not only the drive shaft (according to mechanic) Anyone have any idea what it would cost to repair ? Thanks
After reading this thread, I've decided to offer my two-cents-worth.

Based on your photos and your comment that you couldn't move the vehicle in 4-hi or 4-lo, I think something catastrophic happened inside the transfer case. It may have locked up and, with the forward motion of the car at the time, that is, the rear wheels turning quickly, caused the drive shaft carnage.

If it were me, I'd drop the T-case and test it.

Your mechanic may have been correct in his initial assessment, but if you check around the **** yards, you could find the parts you need and save a ton of money. It really comes down to how much you like the car!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
After reading this thread, I've decided to offer my two-cents-worth.

Based on your photos and your comment that you couldn't move the vehicle in 4-hi or 4-lo, I think something catastrophic happened inside the transfer case. It may have locked up and, with the forward motion of the car at the time, that is, the rear wheels turning quickly, caused the drive shaft carnage.

If it were me, I'd drop the T-case and test it.

Your mechanic may have been correct in his initial assessment, but if you check around the **** yards, you could find the parts you need and save a ton of money. It really comes down to how much you like the car!
???????????? after looking the the pinion broke off, it looks more like it f u ba r ed the rear diff

Michael Wolfe

Reaction score
I would think if it was something in the diff that siezed, things would have gone squirrelly if you were going down the highway and something locked up enough to shear a pinion. I would also think that the transfer case would have been trying to still spin the drive shaft, I would see if you can insert the "tailshaft" end back into the transfer case and see if it will turn at all (in neutral if an automatic)

Pathfinder

Reaction score
There are videos on the internet that show you how to put in a new or rebuilt one. I did it a few years ago and it was not too hard. You can have the shaft repaired or just get a new one. I would assume most of the cost of fixing it would be labor now that it has gone up so much. Good luck.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t see a problem with your driveshaft. You’ve snapped your rear axle’s pinion gear. I know because I’ve done the same.

You need to have the rear axle’s gears replaced. Depending on the garage shop rates it could be expensive.

I had the same thing happen to my 04 Liberty Sport.
Like you I snapped the rear axle pinion gear. I chose to simply swap out the axle than to replace the gears because I had no idea if I trashed the axle housing.

i don’t recall the total cost but it was probably less than a thousand dollars. The junkyard axle cost me $150, new brake hardware, pads & rotors and new seals. My buddy and I did the wrench work.

Any idea what caused it?

Reaction score
Mechanic said that the differential locked up and the drive shaft and transfer case broke along with the transmission. He is looking into used parts now but he thinks its not worth to fix it.. Thanks for everyone's help !!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Mechanic said that the differential locked up and the drive shaft and transfer case broke along with the transmission. He is looking into used parts now but he thinks its not worth to fix it.. Thanks for everyone's help !!
Not worth it to repair ?
LOL, oh my , what an idiot
Drop it off at my shop

Reaction score
Finally got the car fixed, Used parts (drive shaft , transfer case & transmission ) What I did not mention before was we got hit from behind 3 months prior, just seemed cosmetic at the time but I had the insurance company do another estimate. The insurance paid for the entire bill... Thanks again !

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
LOL never have I heard of an insurance company doing that
I assume if you were hit it was not major damage so see no way that it would of damaged everything in drive train
But you got it repaired and lucky as all get out

Reaction score
I am glad it worked out, there were no issues at first the car seemed fine. The guy who hit me had no insurance and he just bought the car that day. I found out later his car was totaled.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
In the 04 I was rear ended 4 times , 3 of them left on a wrecker , other one limped away with fluids draining out only to be caught a mile away by the Hiway Patrol
Never any damage to mine though , with aftermarket bumper , lifted , Kilby gas tank skid etc , nothing by tiny scratch on bumper
no damage to rear diff, transfer case or transmission

Latest posts

Members online