Door Locks, Headlights, Horn Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joreill1

Reaction score
I just bought a 2002 KJ with 75k miles and have just run into some electrical problems. I was out of town for the weekend and came back to my Jeep. I heard a clicking sound near the locking mechanism on the rear gate, it sounded like someone was locking and unlocking the door rapidly. I tried to unlock it with my keyless entry but nothing would happen. I unlocked the Jeep with my key and tried to start, the battery was dead. After getting a jump from my friend and getting ready to leave, I turned on the lights and the horn started going off. When I turned off the lights the horn would stop, and when the I turned the lights on the horn would start. I took out the fuse for the horn and drove home. When I went to lock it, I just used the lock button on the door, since I figured something might be wrong with the factory alarm but when I pushed down nothing would happen, if I pushed up the doors would lock and alarm would set. I could lock/unlock using the keyless remote but nothing else. I drove to work this morning and the locks didn't automatically lock after I went over 15mph, like they usually do, however after about 15mins @ 50mph of driving the doors locked, but then kept trying to lock. I've read some of the forums and am thinking possibly a Junction Box Fuse #9, a Faulty BCM, or the EVIC needing reset, can anyone give me some advice??? Also, I have an after market cd player and the cds get pretty hot (bad wiring?) and the dome lights have flickered occasionally while driving??? [-o<

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, that some crazy stuff. Could be a bad bcm like you said since it controls all that crap. Have you tried unhooking the battery and resetting everything? Leave it off for alittle while and see what happens. Why did the battery go dead? Did you have it tested?

2003KJ

Reaction score
Definately sounds like a bad BCM to me....Seems to be very common amongst the 2002 models. Other symptoms include no dash lights, no instruments, and various other electronics not working.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Identical situation happened after I left the Jeep parked for 5 days at the airport. Upon my return I pressed the unlock button. I heard clickity clickity of the doors. I tried to lock it and when the horn chirpped it kept beeping, crazily. After numerous attempts to stop it I had to unplug the actual horns! Problem solved? No.

I turned on the Jeep and my gas gauge would not move. I turned it off, but it didn't turn off! The key was not in the ignition and the Jeep was still running. Then it died about 15 seconds after my key was pulled out.

I waited for a bit, asked the guy getting his car next to me for a jump. He kindly did. I drove it home without noticing a problem. When I got home I did the code test and recorded 6 codes!! All of them pertained to something electrical: Electrical fan relay, A/C Electrical relay, Fuel gauge relay, etc...I then unplugged the battery over night. The next day I plugged everything back in and had no other issues.

After a couple drives the codes did not show up and I never had another problem. After doing some thinking I realized that I had my amplifier connected to the battery. The amplifiers amp was blown (something I did not check when the mayhem was going on). I think something occured with my amp draining the battery...and most likley causing the problems when I tried to get everything going.

This occured in the beginning of July and I have not had any issues after with the electrical system. My amp is fine (after putting a new fuse in) and nothing is out of wack.

Silver Streak

Reaction score
I would look real close at my battery. When the battery gets old and the volts fall off after sitting for a week or so, the BCM will do all sorts of crazy things. Charge the battery up good and it straightens up for a while, until it sits long enough of the battery finally goes bad for good.

Silver Streak