don't understand. still confused

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twindragons187

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, i was over at lost and it wouldn't let me attach a photo. i'm having a problem figuring out what ****** i have. the dealer says i have the 42rle. but from what i can gather, i have the 45rfe....or do i??

Attachments

• SANY05701.jpg
    SANY05701.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 47
  • SANY0571.JPG
    SANY0571.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 84
  • SANY0572.JPG
    SANY0572.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 40
  • SANY0573.JPG
    SANY0573.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 36
  • SANY0575.JPG
    SANY0575.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 39

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Totally unsure, but I can tell you that little vertical cooler you have in the grill isn't the oil cooler. I believe that's the optional power steering cooler. I could be wrong, hopefully someone who knows for sure will chime in.

twindragons187

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know the little cooler on the driver's side is the ps cooler. but the other is the trans cooler. the dealer told me that i dont have a external trans cooler and its in the rad. however, these pics say otherwise and there's no place on my rad for the lines to go. it looks like a 5 speed rad in an auto jeep. he's also sayen that i have the 42rle but from what i can gather, i have the 45rfe.

twindragons187

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm figuring that much. but the dealer say's he garentee's that i have the 42rle....also says that i DO NOT have an external trans cooler....seems like my build sheet is all messed up.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
i'm figuring that much. but the dealer say's he garentee's that i have the 42rle....also says that i DO NOT have an external trans cooler....seems like my build sheet is all messed up.

Build sheets aren't always accurate. What the sheet says (the intention) and what comes down the line (the actual vehicle) are two different stories/situations.

I hope you're no longer confused. :)

twindragons187

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, since i have the 45rfe and an external trans cooler, would it be safe to haul anything close to 5k?

twindragons187

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the only thing i don't have is the aux fan. i have the holes in the water pump pulley for one tho. my build sheet says i don't have alot of stuff thats on my jeep. dealer says its aftermarket but it all looks stock.

would mainly be towing a 16ft bass boat.

Last edited:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, interesting - the Aux fan is the mechanical one? I assumed all KJ's had the mechanical one, and the electric was the aux fan.

Could be "OEM aftermarket" - meaning that it's OEM stuff the dealer or a previous owner put on? I mean, put on a Mopar receiver in the rear and it'd be hard to tell where it came from.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Dealer is full of crap.

Find another dealer, please.

The electric fan is standard. The mechanical fan is the one most KJs don't have.. it's a part of the tow package.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, never knew that Marlon, thought it was the opposite. Is the Shroud just as big in a non-tow package KJ?

twindragons187

Full Access Member
Reaction score
then the only thing i need is the mechanical fan and i basically have the tow group then. other then the hitch of course....

my jeep has no shroud. just the electric fan.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Cool, never knew that Marlon, thought it was the opposite. Is the Shroud just as big in a non-tow package KJ?

It's not SUPPOSED TO BE, but SOME KJs without the tow package do have the big shroud... jeepjeepster has it. KJs without the tow pack have NO shroud... just the fan itself.

Like I said... what comes down the line is totally different than the intention. ;)

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, that'd give quite a bit more room in the front of the engine bay, wouldn't it?

I agree with you, they'll slap in whatever's available. Why shut down a line because "little shrouds" aren't readily available? Throw in the big ones and minimize the financial hit. I worked in Automotive for a few years, I know how it goes ;-) I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of the bolts I designed tooling for are somewhere in the KJ. I'd have to look at P/N's to know for sure.

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The electric fan is standard. The mechanical fan is the one most KJs don't have.. it's a part of the tow package.

Is the Shroud just as big in a non-tow package KJ?

It's not SUPPOSED TO BE, but SOME KJs without the tow package do have the big shroud... jeepjeepster has it. KJs without the tow pack have NO shroud... just the fan itself.

Hi folks... now I'm the one who's a little confused :p

I've looked at my engine bay and I'm quite sure that I have the big shroud (although I have nothing to compare it... I didn't see another KJ engine bay besides my own... and according with Marlon_JBT, there is no such thing as a small shroud... Or you got the big shroud or you got nothing... right?).

I also have a 45RFE and I'm almost convinced that I have an auxiliary transmission cooler. The thing that I can't figure out yet is the mechanical fan stuff. ¿somebody has a picture of one of them? I know that if I had an auxiliary fan I would know it. The thing is I want to install an auxiliary fan and a good rally point is seeing one first :D

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alex - Marlon is saying there IS a smaller shroud.

The setup would go Radiator, electric fan, auxiliary mechanical fan from the front to the back. It's hard to see the electric one in there if you have the mechanical one. The mechanical would be easy to see, it'd be attached to a pulley on the water pump on the front of the engine, and I believe mine has whitish opaque blades? Could be wrong on that.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to your pic's you have the ps cooler and the ****** cooler. You also have the ****** controller on the passenger side fender which is for the 45rfe. That is what I see in the pic's you posted. Look on the side of the ******. There should be a tag on it. The ****** pan is square on that ****** I think also.

It is possible that you have a OME tow package unless the hitch says Reese or something on it. I'm guessing you didn't buy the KJ new from your questions. Anyway how much does your 16' boat/trailer/motor weigh? You have the right coolers and should be able to tow it as long as it is under the 5,000 lb KJ towing capacity. That is what the KJ is rated for with the tow package. Brakes on the trailer would be good.

Dave

Last edited:

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
No I didn't. I'm saying that there is NO shroud if you don't have the tow package. Only the fan is under the hood.

You must be registered for see images attach

Perfect example. My '04 KJ. No shroud... just the fan. What I should have said is that the big shroud is not supposed to be..... there lol3.gif

Last edited: