Does this sound like worn motor mounts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AVR2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2005 KJ feels like it's vibrating just a tad too much on idle. You can feel it mainly through the seat - not a major vibration at all, in fact my wife doesn't even notice it at all, but I do. Since the engine sounds perfectly smooth and the rev needle isn't fluctuating at all, could this be down to loose or worn motor mounts? They were only replaced about 4 years ago.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be? Maybe one of the bolts loosened up a little?

Dave

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The design of the 3.7L is notorious for vibration. The engine is actually a 90 degree V-8 design with two of the cylinders lopped off. Due to the firing order - and since it is 'missing' 2 cylinders that would counter-balance the vibrations - it vibrates more than it should so Chrysler modded some of the motor's internals to make it smoother. But a 90 degree V-6 will never be smooth and purr like a kitten.

Worn motor mounts may be helping you notice the vibrations since they're not absorbing as they're designed. Could also be time for plug change and general tune up.

Others will chime in too...

Bob