Does anyone know of a problem with the airbags.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gab1127

Reaction score
I got into a head on collision with a Chevy Suburban at between 35-40 mph. My Liberty is totalled I believe. I didn't have any major injuries from the accident except for a burn on my right arm from the airbag. Everyone at the hospital says that it's common but I thought that was usually from friction burns. But I saw a blue spark or flame and I have singed hairs on my arm. Just wondering if that is normal. I have to say I loved my KJ.
[/img]

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't want to experience my airbags going off to answer this question. However, I can see yourself obtaining some form of airbag burn. Not really sure about the blue spark or flame, accident could have caused you to think you saw something? Those airbags deploy tremendously fast and I'm not sure that you have time to actually see the airbag deploy while being involved in the accident.

Good to hear the airbag went off and it wasn't your head smacking the steering column!

2003KJ

Reaction score
sorry to hear about your wreck, but atleast the KJ got you out in one piece...they're prooving to be pretty damn tough in accidents!

I dont know about the spark you say you saw, but maybe it coulda been something else...maybe the headlight going out or something on the chevy from the impact? Alot of those chevy's have daytime running lights.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow...glad you're ok. Guess the airbags worked and saved any serious injuries. Don't know what the blue spark or flame could have been, unless it had something to do with the "propellant" for the air bag, and I havn't heard about any air bag problems.

glaurick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the burn, I'd take that over a broken face any day.
Going from 40 to a dead stop all of a sudden mixed with the airbags going off in 1/10 of a second I'm sure you'd have a color flash in your eyes (ever been poked in the eye and seen a blue or white flash?, same thing)
Good that your ok.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much damage did it do to the suburban? Those things are as tough as a freaken concrete wall. Just wondering how the libby did up against something ALOT bigger than it is. Any pics of the kj or short bus?

Glad you are OK. Everyone seems to be wreaking their kj's. There's been a bunch on the lost board. :-s

gab1127

Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
How much damage did it do to the suburban? Those things are as tough as a freaken concrete wall. Just wondering how the libby did up against something ALOT bigger than it is. Any pics of the kj or short bus?

Glad you are OK. Everyone seems to be wreaking their kj's. There's been a bunch on the lost board. :-s

I think my KJ totalled his Suburban also. Both cars front ends are smashed in. Mine looks like an animal ate the bumper. I'd post pics if I knew how. They could probably use mine as a crash test example. The first thing I thought of was those Volkswagon crash commercials.

Thanks for all the concern. I am definately going to get a new KJ to replace it. I think it's going to be a 2005 Limited CRD. But we'll see when I finish talking to the insurance people.
You must be registered for see images

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gab1127 said:
I'd post pics if I knew how.

If you want to send me the pictures I can host them and put them up in this thread.

As much as we all love to see mangled vehicles, many of us would just like to see how our vehicles fair in the worst case scenario.

But let me know. If the pictures are on your computer at all I can walk you through it.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ohh bless! The hood looks like a piece of paper! You can tell the short bus hit above the front bumper. If you would of had a franken lift, it would of hit dead on probably.

gab1127

Reaction score
The Suburban looks just as bad. I'm waiting to hear back from the insurance company so I can go get my new Liberty.
[/img]

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score

AnthologyCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gab1127 said:
jeepjeepster said:

I think my KJ totalled his Suburban also. Both cars front ends are smashed in. Mine looks like an animal ate the bumper. I'd post pics if I knew how. They could probably use mine as a crash test example. The first thing I thought of was those Volkswagon crash commercials.

Thanks for all the concern. I am definately going to get a new KJ to replace it. I think it's going to be a 2005 Limited CRD. But we'll see when I finish talking to the insurance people.

Glad to see you're OK man .......... Really! One of the main reasons I bought my Liberty for the the crash rating! I've heard wonderful stories about them ................. only 1 bad one where someone complained about the airbag not going off ............ but who knows.

Anyways, did you have any nifty gadgets that you installed? maybe like some tow-hooks, or subwoofer that you could sell?

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The propellant likely caused the burn, If you noticed the smell after the airbags went off, you know that there is a slight combustion process involved. (Slight, ha)

They are also notorious fof leaving rug burns.

gab1127

Reaction score
DougBenn said:
The propellant likely caused the burn, If you noticed the smell after the airbags went off, you know that there is a slight combustion process involved. (Slight, ha)

They are also notorious fof leaving rug burns.

Yeah, I knew about that but I have singed hair on my arm. I don't think you get that from friction burns.