DIY Muffler Swap... Is it worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jschenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm contemplating swapping out the stock muffler for something a little more "fun". But, my first question is... is it even worth it? Does the KJ's 3.7 V6 even sound "good enough" to justify the time and small amount of money?

And, if so, what is the best way to go? Glasspack (for obnoxious fun), turbo style, or chambered style?

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The PO put a cherry bomb glasspack, and cut off the tailpipe on my KJ...
I like the sound of it, but in the backseat, especially on the highway it gets annoying...
You get some real funny looks though :D

djta11

Reaction score
Installed the FloMaster Super 44 in about an hour. Bought it on eBay for around $60 shipped and got the extension and clamps at Pepboys for around $15.

The sound was the most notable difference until I went to the pump. I ended up getting about 50 more miles out of my tank after the install.

Highly recommend.

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the Magnaflow kit and installed it myself. Just seems to have deapened the tone. Its all stainless and wont rust.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
ran a droneing flow master for 85,000 miles finally got very tired of it
Magna Flow now and way better, when you get on it you hear it fine but you can talk at 65-70 with no drone

jschenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run a Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, love the tone it makes. Cost $150.00 but it's well worth the price.

Dynomax makes Thrush mufflers, and from my little bit of research, a thrush turbo is essentially the dynomax super turbo. My brother picked one up for 33 bucks at O'reilly's.

Latest posts

Members online