Disabling the kill engine security

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bugash

Reaction score
I have a 06 CRD and it came with 2 remote keys. The cost of additional keys is prohibitive as compared to a $1.00 replacement key at your local hardware store. When I used a new key that I had made, the car would start but in about 2 seconds the engine cut off because of the security feature of the car. I hope there is somebody in this forum that can tell me how to disable the engine disabling feature of the security system. I am not concerned about the loss of security. Please help!

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
you probably will need to go to the dealer and have them disable the sentry system. either that or u can buy a blank sentry key from ebay and have them reprogram it for ya...

bugash

Reaction score
Spoke with the dealer.... He did not know of any way to disable the requirement for a security key. I am hoping someone might know more than what the dealer is telling me.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cant tell you if its possible, but they would have to reprogram your BCM to disable this functionality. I would suggest that this is *GREAT* security feature to keep intact. It is a nice, passive security measure that will ensure that even if your vehicle is hotwired, it's not going anywhere. I actually went out of my way to get it added to my jeep.

I dont know about the 06s, but you can check out this article which details how you can add a sentry key yourself. This would require buying a blank (ebay) and having it cut. There are then some steps you can go thru on your own to have the vehicle recognize the key as a valid key.

If you're intent on killing this feature, there are other rube-goldberg like solutions that you could employ - the reciever recognizes the sentry key from a distance away, so you could, hypothetically, just stick one of your existing keys in the dash near the ignition, and it would probably work fine. You'd have to play with it, and for the record, I wouldnt encourage this solution :)

Best of luck-

Blu

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spare key

I lost my spare and got a new spare & FOB off of eBay for $60, which included dealer reprogramming and shipping. They wanted $170 at the dealer. I don't have the sentry system, but I received a Sentry key. It works fine, the dealership said they just didn't program the Sentry chip in the key.

I found my spare the next freaking day.

priell3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like others have said, get a Sentry key from Ebay. I did after my wife's keys were stolen. I had the dealer reprogram the keys for $25 bucks. I saved big bucks overall. I bought several remotes on Ebay too, easy to program. I'm going to order a spare soon and program it myself (you need two working keys).

melted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember my owner's manual, you can program your own third key IF you have both factory issued keys. There's a key on, key off, change key etc. kind of procedure.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
BluPhant said:
If you're intent on killing this feature, there are other rube-goldberg like solutions that you could employ - the reciever recognizes the sentry key from a distance away, so you could, hypothetically, just stick one of your existing keys in the dash near the ignition, and it would probably work fine. You'd have to play with it, and for the record, I wouldnt encourage this solution :)

Best of luck-

Blu

I tried that with my sister's Jeep. (Has Sentry Key)

I attempted this for at least 15 minutes, and could NOT get this to work AT ALL. #-o I'll try again someday. =D>

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every time I hear this type of question, my spidey-sense tingles. (biggrin)

Hopefully all's we're going to say here is "buy a sentry key and have it programmed".

Think of it from this perspective...
If I were stealing a vehicle, I too would go to the internet and ask if anyone knew how to disable (or bypass) the security key feature.

On a more serious note, like everyone else, I haven't heard of a way around it. I do know that it's a bad idea to have 2 of them too close together when starting the Liberty. I had one in the center console (my key ring) and the gf started it with her keys. Even at that range they interfered with each other and the sentry system activated and shut it down after 6 secs.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
4Factor said:
Think of it from this perspective...
If I were stealing a vehicle, I too would go to the internet and ask if anyone knew how to disable (or bypass) the security key feature.
I thought of the same thing... but didn't want to mention it. =P~

corkyf58

Reaction score
melted said:
If I remember my owner's manual, you can program your own third key IF you have both factory issued keys. There's a key on, key off, change key etc. kind of procedure.

Bought 2 keys off Ebay for around $20........took 5 minutes to program both. The instructions are in the owners manual. Saved the OEM keys for future reference & use the keyless entry features on my remote start FOB.