Dino vs Synthetic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

indianrefining

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My original intent was that i thought it would help add to the discussion of the original post to make note of the differences between group III and IV oils, thinking it was rather common knowledge...

But im sticking to my guns on this and ill insist in making my point, but with all due respect, i am not intending to slam, slander, or otherwise criticize anyone for what they know or dont here... Ive done much reading on this and wanted to share somthing i learned is all. I may have missed somthing in my reading but here is an article that sums up nicely what ive been trying to communicate....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil

"Hydrocracked/Hydroisomerized = API Group III base oils. Chevron, Mobil, and other petrochemical companies developed processes involving catalytic conversion of feed stocks under pressure in the presence of hydrogen into high quality mineral lubricating oil. In 2005 production of GTL (Gas-to-liquid) Group III base stocks began. The best of these perform much like polyalphaolefin. Group III base stocks are considered synthetic motor oil in North America.[4][5] "

So better stated, since we ARE in North America... Mobil is not a Group IV synthetic, but rather a group III synthetic, asuming they switched from group IV (1974) to current group III... Implied by said article of reference... group III as stated in said article, is derived from mineral oil stock (aka Dino).

LOL oil discussions!!!! =P

In all honesty, I'm not certain if Mobil 1 is formulated from a Group III or Group IV (PAO) base. (I'm sure that ExxonMobil would say that that is proprietary information.) Given the very minor differences beween Group III (especially Group III+) and Group IV (PAO) lube base oils, though, I can't see any point in paying the higher price for ANY "synthetic" PCMO. I, for one, will stick to my good old "conventional" HAVOLINE.

JimKJSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like almost all oils are the result of something natural being processed. Darn! And I thought I was on to something. I'm telling you, the government has a car that runs on water, man!

JimKJSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem with synthetics and Chrysler vehicles is that Chrysler states in the owners manual (at least for my 05 Liberty) something to the effect of under no circumstances to run oil longer than 6000 miles without an oil change. While synthetic is still the best, it loses its advantage over dino with 6k or less oil change intervals.

JimKJSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I would say is that if its group I or II its still dino and while it may not be correct to call group III a true synthetic, it is also just as incorrect to refer to group III as dino. Am I wrong here?

JimKJSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
o8k What oil do you favor in your CRD? Mobil 1 Turbodiesel truck (formerly Truck & SUV 5w-40) would be excellent for a diesel. Another unique excellent diesel oil but only in Canada :( is Esso XD3 extra 0w-30.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
change oil when it gets dirty, dont wait on a time period, and dont always wait for the mileage to hit, just keep checking and change when its dirty.

running synthetic or semi synthetic in these hasnt done me any difference, other than maybe prolonging the duration between changes. if someone thinks they get better MPG with synth, its in their head, I can't notice a difference, though mine has almost 90k on the clock now anyhow.

get the best viscosity for your climate/condition and keep it topped off, thats the best rule of thumb. luckily these things dont burn too much.

indianrefining

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I would say is that if its group I or II its still dino and while it may not be correct to call group III a true synthetic, it is also just as incorrect to refer to group III as dino. Am I wrong here?

Group III lube base oils are mineral oils (or "conventional") oils - if that's what you mean by "dino". Group I, II and III oils all start with crude. The differences are essentially in the processing. Group IV (PAO) oils can be synthesized from damn near anything containing hydrocarbons, but most come from natural gas or coal. (Then, again, natural gas and coal started out as dinosaurs, too, so maybe PAOs are also "dino".)

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you read my previous posts? Diesels have tougher requirements than gas.
i did, and wasnt answering you, i was speaking to the original topic, but somewhere someone switched to diesel

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Charger drinks Royal Purple. The Liberty is using up all my Castrol GTX 5w-20 stock that I have leftover from the Charger's conventional oil days. Honestly, none of it matters. Oil is oil is oil on young cars as long as it is SAE and you change it accordingly. Get some severely aged and worn cylinders and you can start caring about specialty oil.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Good day,
I am running Mopar (So who ever supplies them and puts a Mopar sticker on the container)
I will continue to do so until my Power train warranty is up.

I'd like to try full synthetic (Doesn't really make sense when you think about "Synthetic" Oil... I mean they pump fossil oil out of the depths of the earth and turn a natural product into a synthetic product; oh well, I guess they do the same with the food we eat!)
So I'll try various brands and keep records on each brand so that I can post my findings here on KJ Country.
Then I will more than likely switch over to Amsoil and become lazy and only change it 3 times a year!
Seriously? I think it will be quite interesting for myself.

Oh! And _UnLiMiTeD_?
Good come back for The Titan.

But at the end of the day? I to believe that oil is oil.

(Cheers)

Ryan

Latest posts

Members online