Differential Side CV head need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vaksanov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need help with putting differential side CV head on. My new one that came has a ball retainer (circle with wholes in it) that is too tight, so the balls were stuck and weren't moving freely as on the one that I took out. So I am trying to put the old one back together, I put the balls and retainer in the case. The balls and retainer move inside of it but the head would not pivot on them and will not move up or down, so I think it will not retract when I am going to try putting it back in the driveshaft.
I am not sure what the problem is and trying to get her fixed before the weekend is over. Is there a special tool required? Do I need to take it to the shop somewhere to put back together?
P.S.

Never mind, the balls were the right size lol I've been putting it together all wrong. I could have sworn I have tried doing that but I guess not. I kept putting it in this way and hammering it in and out trying to make it work, which looked like the right way:

You must be registered for see images attach

Instead of this way:

So to set it up:

And bam:

Now it pivots.

Holly crap, spent 2 days working on the thing, tomorrow will be the third day. Put the front boot all wrong yesterday and tried putting the small boot retaining clip for like 2 hours before went and got the hose clamp. So i pried the shaft in place and couldn't match the bold holes so left it like that till I took it to the shop today to get the darn thing off. After that was just trying to figure out the right way to put the thing together. Fingers crossed tomorrow won't take as long to put everything together.

Last edited:

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every day is a learning day...thanks for blazing the trail for those of us here who are CV virgins...:icon_mrgreen: