Differential service quote

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kd8mki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, while I was picking my wifes car up from the repair shop that I trust for her car, I figured hey, it's cold out, I'll get a quote on changing my front and rear diff fluid out so I don't have to worry about doing it. Gave the guy all the info, 2002 Rene, no trac loc, not used for towing. Stood there while he called for his quote on the gear oil. Hangs up and types some stuff in the computer and says, "$300 each". I was like WHAT?! "It calls for synthetic fluid". I said, "Who told you that?" "NAPA." I told the guy he was crazy and he said "we just install what is called for in the vehicle". Looks like I'll be finding a new shop to trust for the wifes car. :icon_twisted:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Heck run it up here to Toledo and I'll only charge you 200 and that includes Pizza and drinks :happy175:

kd8mki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even with synthetic fluid, there's no way it should cost that much. Everywhere else around here I've seen is around $50-$75/axle. It was some young kid who I haven't seen in there before. I'm wondering if he messed up his math somehow. I'll talk to my usual guy there later and find out what that was all about.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Doesn't even take that long to do, so can't be the labor
but then shops do have overhead to pay :whip:
If I was closer you could use my garage

kd8mki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It just seemed so weird. They've always had really great pricing/service for our Sunfire.

KJNJJeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had the front and rear both flushed and filled for $90. No way it should be $200 and above.

TruLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah doing it yourself is always the cheapest. Last year Jiffy Lube told me it needed to be done said 60 for each diff and 120 for my T-case, i said NOooooo thanks....did it all myself for 60 including an Oil change.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$300 each? WOW!
Local mechanic just upped his gear/locker instal
price from $300 to $350 per axle + parts
This is full case ,Detroit, locker but includes
RTV and gear oil

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, while I was picking my wifes car up from the repair shop that I trust for her car, I figured hey, it's cold out, I'll get a quote on changing my front and rear diff fluid out so I don't have to worry about doing it. Gave the guy all the info, 2002 Rene, no trac loc, not used for towing. Stood there while he called for his quote on the gear oil. Hangs up and types some stuff in the computer and says, "$300 each". I was like WHAT?! "It calls for synthetic fluid". I said, "Who told you that?" "NAPA." I told the guy he was crazy and he said "we just install what is called for in the vehicle". Looks like I'll be finding a new shop to trust for the wifes car. :icon_twisted:

Read diff is super-easy to do, even if you remove the whole diff cover. Front diff merely requires a fluid pump to get the oil out. I just had mine serviced at a shop about six months ago. I think it cost me around $75.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Read diff is super-easy to do, even if you remove the whole diff cover. Front diff merely requires a fluid pump to get the oil out. I just had mine serviced at a shop about six months ago. I think it cost me around $75.

Your front diff doesn't have a drain plug at the bottom? That doesn't sound right. You should be able to remove the lower plug to drain, reinstall, and then remove the upper plug to fill.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
"$300 each".........that is $600 for both axles. Must be a mistake.

If you do it yourself even in the driveway it is not hard to do. The front diff has drain and fill plugs and the back one you need to just take the cover off and use RTV sealant.

Dave

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your front diff doesn't have a drain plug at the bottom? That doesn't sound right. You should be able to remove the lower plug to drain, reinstall, and then remove the upper plug to fill.

I think Jayme meant to say (and I might be wrong because everyone knows you cannot read a woman's mind), remove the fill plug to be sure it isn't seized, remove drain plug, let drain, replace drain plug, fill then replace fill plug. Too easy. Longest part of the job is getting a beer and surfing this site while the diff drains.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I think Jayme meant to say (and I might be wrong because everyone knows you cannot read a woman's mind), remove the fill plug to be sure it isn't seized, remove drain plug, let drain, replace drain plug, fill then replace fill plug. Too easy. Longest part of the job is getting a beer and surfing this site while the diff drains.

:bleh: Yeah, what he said. :D

The point I was trying to make was that you don't need to remove the gear oil from the upper fill plug area.

(Cheers)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I let mine drain over night. I remove the rear cover and the plugs on the front and let her sit there all night long and thinking about getting all that old nasty stuff out! Next morning walk out into the garage to that wonderful smell! :icon_twisted:
Do the same with the transfer case, which reminds me want to do the transfer case tonight.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Does it? I'll have to check mine. I was pretty sure it had the drain plug about 1/2 way up the diff cover like the rear one did.

kd8mki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Yeah, I'll be sacking up and doing this myself. I need to drop the skid to get to the front one right?

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sears quoted me $400 for:
Oil Change
Coolant flush
CHECK the diff oils
Rotate tires
They refused to touch the transmission or change the diff oils

SCREW THAT
$130 for all fluids and filters for everything at autozone
Im lucky enough to have access to a lift for $3/hr so that was an easy decision

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Yeah, I'll be sacking up and doing this myself. I need to drop the skid to get to the front one right?

Yes. Actually you can get to the front diff fill plug but you can't get to the drain plug (or see it) with the skid on.

Dave

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Not even going to post what I did the diffs, transfer case, new plugs, drain and fill with new thermostat, new idler pulley and belt for a neighbor the other night!
Less than what a lot seem to be paying for diffs alone :shrug:
03 loaded with 53,000 miles now, being nice to the elderly lady and hopefully she'll leave it to me in her will!:happy175:

Members online