differential problem ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

prh747

Reaction score
2005 liberty, I was in 2 wheel drive and rear nearside wheel dropped in quite large hole on side of road whilst turning corner doing approx 10km, the wheel was spinning when it contacted with front edge of hole , since then the rear of the car seems to be loose... when accelerating it seems to drive to left then when decelerating rear seems to go to right. Both rear wheels are driving as i have tried hard acceleration on loose ground. To counteract both is like steering into a skid slightly ! any ideas please ? changed rear shocks, a bar body bushes and trailing arm bushes to no avail !

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Measure wheelbase on both sides and see if there is a difference. Have someone watch your back wheels (and the whole Jeep) as you drive. Sounds like it's "dog walking" because the axle is not straight or moving when you hit the gas. Are you sure this didn't involve the front end?

tksautos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have the alignment checked back there. If something isn't in spec then something is bent or moving around.

its worth the 50 bucks for an alignment. If its not the alignment most shops will tell you when they get it on the rack. Theyll say we cant align it cause this is wrong. That way you either get your problem fixed for 50 bucks, or know whats wrong for free!

prh747

Reaction score
Thanks for thoughts, alignment was checked and all within limits.... is there some sort of diff lock that could be damaged?

Ted15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's an old trick someone tought me a long time ago. Go to a flat, paved (or concrete) area and wet a section down long enough to get your tires wet when you drive through it. Drive through it and a couple car lengths further without turning the wheel then back straight over where you just were. Get out and look at how she tracked. If your tracks going back are right over where you drove forward then the chassis should be tracking ok. If the tracks don't line up then you may have a problem.
Also, I saw on a Durango where the u bolts broke where the leaf springs are held on. I know we don't have leafs but haybe something else broke loose. (?) just a thought.