Differential Gear Oil- Synth or Dino

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Never ran anything but dino in any diffs for the last 40 plus years , it just works period

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How often do you change your diff oil?

Not often enough for me...

I use regular dino lube in mine, it's worked fine for 135k miles... it worked fine in my 400,000 mile '85 Ranger... it's worked fine (and gotten better) for the last 120 years that we've had ICE powered vehicles.

The trick is to change it out regularly and when needed.

BillyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Subaru had a 120k mile change for the diffs and transfer case. I had the dealer so that since it was included with the price of another service and would have cost me just about as much to brake the service up into individual parts.

I am planning on changing the diffs, transfer case and crankcase oil tomorrow. I have no idea when the last time the diffs and transfer case were changed since I bought it used.

I watched a video on Bleepin Jeep and the guy used brake cleaner to clean off the gears in the rear diff- front and back- before refilling with new oil. Does anyone else do that?

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to run the heavy duty Shell Rotella in my WRX because of the heat from the turbo. I see from your avatar that you wheel and I am guessing that is why you use the heavy duty oil.

How often do you change your diff oil?
Yeah I go wheeling almost every weekend. It probably averages out to like every 10k miles.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I watched a video on Bleepin Jeep and the guy used brake cleaner to clean off the gears in the rear diff- front and back- before refilling with new oil. Does anyone else do that?

Back yes, front, can't really clean it, so just drain and fill.

Members online