differential and gearing question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tylerlsch

Reaction score
Hi, I have an '03 Liberty with the 3.7L. Does anyone know about options for limited slip differentials or locking differentials?? Or what about different gearing to give the 4 wheel low a stronger crawl?? Are these bad ideas or good ones?

Thanks for your time.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Detroit and ARB make lockers for the Chrysler 8.25 rear, you can also find a limited slip if you want one but not sure of the sources for them. Locker in rear is a good idea if you're doing some decent offroading. As for lower gears, find a wrecked Sport with the 4-cyl engine and pull the 4.10s out of it...

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the power-trax NO-Slip locking diff for the rear end. its a lunch box locker so it only takes about an hour to install once you get the cover off.

The driving manners are 'ok' for what it is. Ive had mine for 10k miles with zero issues.

Do you really need lower gearing when in 4low? Ive never felt the need for more although the engine braking is lacking with the 42rle ******.

4:10 gears is all you can do for a lower gearing short of getting a new tcase.