Diff Fluid Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

abarkl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just changed both of mine on the used 2002 I picked up recently with 58000 miles. The rear was a pain in the butt however (no pun intended). You have to drain it by removing the cover and resealing it.
The fluid's color and condition was ok but I feel better knowing it's fresh.
I also picked up a 4oz bottle of friction modifier from eBay to add to the rear diff.

FL RENNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
55k with no rear end change?!!?!?!? Holy Crap!! The book says to change the rear diff fluid ever 15-20K!! I'm sure it depends on how you run your Jeep....but YEA I would deffinatly say to change it before you start hearing a little knock comming from the rear. I just changed my rear diff fluid nad ****** fluid at 40k, went to Jiffy Lube and they did it for about $110.

Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And an extra additive is recommended for the rear if you have Trak-Lok. Check manual.

2003KJ

Reaction score
I changed mine myself at about 25K and I was surprised at how bad it looked for such low milage. I dont do much wheelin, pretty much all street travel. Really easy to do youself if you've got a few hours to kill, and yes the rear end is a pain in the ****!

jp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may sound kinda dumb, but does anyone have a write-up on how to do this?

Thanks

2003KJ

Reaction score
jp1 said:
This may sound kinda dumb, but does anyone have a write-up on how to do this?

Thanks

I've got one on here some where, I was just thinking tonight that I need to make one in the how-to section, I'll search on here and see if i can't find my mini write-up for you.

2003KJ

Reaction score
hmmm, can't seem to locate my mini write-up, but here's a good one I found over on LOST.

clicky here!!!!

I'll do my own write up in the next couple of days, so there's one on this site.

if you got any other questions, feel free to ask!

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kjpilot said:
don't forget to change the fluid in the transfer case too!

Ahh yea, didn't think of looking into that. I'm going to have a local shop that I got to attend to this. Based on the responses it sounds like a simple procedure, besides the rear, but I would rather have someone else do it. (whistle)

EugeneTheJeep

Reaction score
blckkj said:
kjpilot said:

Ahh yea, didn't think of looking into that. I'm going to have a local shop that I got to attend to this. Based on the responses it sounds like a simple procedure, besides the rear, but I would rather have someone else do it. (whistle)

The T-case is the simplest of all
Step 1: Remove fill plug first (no sense in draining it if you cant refill it)

Step 2: Remove drain and allow all fluid to empty.

Step 3: Replace drain plug

Step 4: Refill T-case with aprox 2.5 quarts of ATF4

Step 5: Replace fill plug

Thats it, should only take about 10-15 min to do.

alljeep

Reaction score
Marty said:
And an extra additive is recommended for the rear if you have Trak-Lok. Check manual.

Not only that, but if you have a CRD, the user manual states mandatory changes at 12,000 mile intervals! My question is, what has changed over the past few years to make a manufacturer go to this extreme?

Used to be 30k to 50k and your good!

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kjpilot said:

how often do you have to change the t-case oil. checked the manual, schedule b said 120,000 miles. nothing under schedule a. don't use 4x4 to often, during winters and terrains that require 4wd.

2003KJ

Reaction score
jeepkj02 said:
kjpilot said:

how often do you have to change the t-case oil. checked the manual, schedule b said 120,000 miles. nothing under schedule a. don't use 4x4 to often, during winters and terrains that require 4wd.

yes, however, parts of the inside of the transfer case are still turning even in 2wd, basically whenever your wheels move.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty certain it's every 30,000 for the more demanding schedual. I know that is what it is for our previous '01 Grand Cherokee with selec-trac. I also know it's at least 60,000 for the liberty on the less rigorous schedual.

It uses the same ATF+4 that is in the transmission, & it is used in 2wd & 4wd.
I do mine when I do the transmission for all those reasons & more!

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I looked in the manual- on the 2003 KJ schedual "B" sez every 60,000 miles; Schedual "A" sez --well who cares?

NO ONE DRIVES A JEEP ELIGIBLE FOR SCHEDUALE "A" \:D/

But I personally will continue to do it with my transmission for the following reasons

1) It uses the same ATF+4 fluid
2) I'm down & dirty anyway
3) the '01 grand cherokee said 30,000 miles & I doubt that the guys at MOPAR improved anything!

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
Really easy to do youself if you've got a few hours to kill, and yes the rear end is a pain in the ****!

So I don't get why everyone seems to have a problem with the rear end. It's like 8 bolts, and some RTV. Unless you didn't jack it up, that would make it more difficult, but other than that...

I dunno, mine seemed easy, just time consuming wating for the rtv to cure properly.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man I pretty much scheduled an appointment with my local shop that I go to. I'm going to get Diff fluid changed and T-case fluid changed.

I havn't had a problem but I don't want to reach that point. I'm glad I asked....or at least I could've looked in the manual (hah).