DIeselfilter change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fjellfinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How often do you change dieselfilter ? Is it diificult to do?

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fjellfinn said:

It should show in your owners manual what the change interval is for the diesel fuel filter. I would imagine it is in the 25-30,000 mile range.

cowpie1

Reaction score
Fjellfinn said:

There are many factors to determining best schedule for diesel fuel filter change.

Ok.... I am going to throw this in the mix to let you chew on it and then you will know how often to change.

I will usually change the fuel filter when the weather turns cold. Any parafin build up or water in the fuel filter will usually cause problems when the outside temp drops below freezing. Not always the case but is good insurance.

The fuel quality is what causes the most problem. If you are getting a good quality fuel with no water in it, you could go the 25K-30K as mentioned in the manual. Since we do not live in a perfect world, I would at least change in the fall.

You can get a fuel filter online from a number of sellers for usually far less than your dealer will charge. Hall Chrysler in Michigan sells a 3 pack of them (and also 6 packs of oil filters) for a good price. You will save over 50%. They are on Ebay.

Changing the fuel filter is not a hard job. Just disconnect the sensor at the bottom of the installed filter, use a oil filter strap wrench with swival (for the tight area the filter is in) to loosen. After the filter is off, remove the water sensor from the old filter bottom and install in the new filter. You may want to position the new filter close to mounting before you fill it manually with fuel before screwing back on. After you get filter mounted, hook back up the sensor on the bottom, loosen the fuel bleed screw and use the priming pump to top off the fuel. Tighten bleed screw and pump up pressure. open bleed screw slightly to remove any trapped air. Repeat till no air. Start up the CRD and check it all out.

This is a $75-$85 dollar job at the dealer. You can do it for the cost of a filter. I think I got the 3 pack from Halls Chrysler for about $70.

It would be wise to ALWAYS have a spare fuel filter on hand at all times even if you do not change it yourself!!! Your local dealer may not always stock them since not a large demand since so few CRD's. Diesels are very finicky about filters and if you need one, you are down till you get one. I carry spare fuel filters for my CRD, Semi, and Farm equipment all the time. Needed one the other day in my Semi quite a ways from the nearest shop.

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cowpie1 said:
Fjellfinn said:

There are many factors to determining best schedule for diesel fuel filter change.

Ok.... I am going to throw this in the mix to let you chew on it and then you will know how often to change.

I will usually change the fuel filter when the weather turns cold. Any parafin build up or water in the fuel filter will usually cause problems when the outside temp drops below freezing. Not always the case but is good insurance.

The fuel quality is what causes the most problem. If you are getting a good quality fuel with no water in it, you could go the 25K-30K as mentioned in the manual. Since we do not live in a perfect world, I would at least change in the fall.

You can get a fuel filter online from a number of sellers for usually far less than your dealer will charge. Hall Chrysler in Michigan sells a 3 pack of them (and also 6 packs of oil filters) for a good price. You will save over 50%. They are on Ebay.

Changing the fuel filter is not a hard job. Just disconnect the sensor at the bottom of the installed filter, use a oil filter strap wrench with swival (for the tight area the filter is in) to loosen. After the filter is off, remove the water sensor from the old filter bottom and install in the new filter. You may want to position the new filter close to mounting before you fill it manually with fuel before screwing back on. After you get filter mounted, hook back up the sensor on the bottom, loosen the fuel bleed screw and use the priming pump to top off the fuel. Tighten bleed screw and pump up pressure. open bleed screw slightly to remove any trapped air. Repeat till no air. Start up the CRD and check it all out.

This is a $75-$85 dollar job at the dealer. You can do it for the cost of a filter. I think I got the 3 pack from Halls Chrysler for about $70.

It would be wise to ALWAYS have a spare fuel filter on hand at all times even if you do not change it yourself!!! Your local dealer may not always stock them since not a large demand since so few CRD's. Diesels are very finicky about filters and if you need one, you are down till you get one. I carry spare fuel filters for my CRD, Semi, and Farm equipment all the time. Needed one the other day in my Semi quite a ways from the nearest shop.

Or what HE said! Good info right there. =D>

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I have learned from others and read myself, it seems wise to make this a once a year right before winter ritual. Unless you are really packing on the miles, then every 20-25K unless you get some bad fuel. I think I will do the once a year deal myself.

Fjellfinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dieselfilter change -- help!

Jeger said:
From what I have learned from others and read myself, it seems wise to make this a once a year right before winter ritual. Unless you are really packing on the miles, then every 20-25K unless you get some bad fuel. I think I will do the once a year deal myself.

I have a certian way to get stuck in trouble when working with my Jeep
(lack of technical skills?)

The d.f. change was very straightforward and easy to do, a 15 min job.
But my KJ didnt start afterwards :-( I ran the starter so long that I emptied the battery...

Reason:I emptied the filter, cleaned it and "forgot" to fill it up with diesel afterwards -- stupid !

After I recharged the battery I managed after a while to fire up my Jeep!

TROUBLE:
As I pumped the primer -- stupid me also skrewed the "primer skrew" just infront of the primer pump -- that was perhapse a bad idea -- I never got it back in position where it was befor I began!