Did I read this right? 1/2 inch clevis lift.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the link listed below, TJKJ2002 tells us that we can use the KK clevis (1/2" longer) in place of the KJ one.

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40000&page=2

From what I've read above and elsewhere, if I start with my stock 2006 Limited... idea.gif
1. Change out the front springs to OME926 (Med - I don't plan on any type of heavy duty front bumper. Maybe a light brush bar... ).
2. Add the Rancho struts.
3. Change the clevis to the KK unit.

I should get....
1. Approx 2" lift from the new springs (1-1/2 advertised from OME, plus they won't settle in as far since I have little to no added front end weight.

Plus...
2. 1" of clevis lift (1/2" x 2 due to the geometry multiplication in the front suspension).

So...
I get 3" of lift (in addition to any "sagging" I might currently have) without any other spacers or "gadgets" above, in, or below the spring and/or strut. Simple - clean, and almost "stock". Plus the front suspension would be firmer with the 375lbs/in spring rate as opposed to the 300lbs/in stock rate.

Is it that simple? It does sound feasible - right? Would the 3" put me on the CV destruction threshold?

I would need to address brake line mounts and the bump-stops (probably around 2") as OME says you don't need to extend the B-stop with the spring lift, but I would need to compensaate for the clevis lift some...

As always, any thoughts, suggetions etc... are welcome!

Last edited:

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tony!

While we wait on Tom, I imagine with 3" I'm looking at Upper Control Arm issues as well as possible alignment problems. Are new JBA UCAs required as well?

I'll probably be better off just going with the springs and struts (2") now as funding is a bit tight, and with 55,000 milkes, these parts are getting a bit worn. Adding the UCA and clevis later would be easier as it doesn't require as much dismanteling of the front end.

Besides, with 3", I'd definately have to go tire shopping tool... then re-gear/locker...

Wow! it is true...

Just
Empty
Each
Pocket

It's my secnd Jeep (had a '96 Grand Cherokee) and wouldn't have it any other way... :D :D :D

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
OK I will chime in I guess;):D:D

Yes the KK clevis will work and give you lift I tried it but with my setup plus the KK clevis I had about 4.5 to 5 inches of lift:eek: looked good but couldn't drive it:mad: without the CVs complaining:rolleyes:

But with what you are suggesting with the mediums springs and just the clevis it would be OK.

Now to throw a fly in the ointment, they are about 65/70 bucks each, almost the same as a set of springs. I could of torn my apart and used them but looking at them for 130/140 or conduit washers and a home made top plate for less than 10 bucks wasn't really worth it to me

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tom and Tony,

Like I said, I think I'll start with the springs & struts. I bought new tires about a year ago and would like to get another 25,000 or so out of them. (Yes, my wife drives the wheels off the Llibby - Literally.).

The 235/65-17 tires won't look to bad (Toyo Open Contry AT) with the 2" lift as it currently has kind of a full wheel-well, street racer look (I tried it out with the floor jack :) ).

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Tom and Tony,

Like I said, I think I'll start with the springs & struts. I bought new tires about a year ago and would like to get another 25,000 or so out of them. (Yes, my wife drives the wheels off the Llibby - Literally.).

The 235/65-17 tires won't look to bad (Toyo Open Contry AT) with the 2" lift as it currently has kind of a full wheel-well, street racer look (I tried it out with the floor jack :) ).

That will work and yes I did the whole jack it up 2 inches or MORE to see what it would look like before I lifted, now days I am jacking it up to see what it will look like at 8 or 9 inches kopkrab.gif

Selwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Uncle Crusty

The KK Clevis plus conduit nuts gives close to 2" lift at minimal cost. Add a 3/8 spacer plate or 4 3/8 machined washers above the shock mounting; 2" plus of lift. Any change on the clevis does not change the bumpstop length. I ran this setup for 6 months without any problems.

Regards

Selwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Tony

The KK clevis is 1/2" longer than the KJ clevis = 1" of lift (this also assists with clearance on the short shaft CV boot of the CRD)

The additional nuts above the clevis 1/2" max = 1" of lift

The spacer above the upper shock mounting 3/8" = 3/4 " of lift

Take a bit on the conduit nuts for safety sake 2" plus of lift.

Sorry about the bumpstop, I got my memory some old rough sketches mixed up, with only a 3/8 spacer all is ok, any other modification requires an extension of the bumpstop.

Regards

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so Tom, how do you know when the CV's are complaining? I ask because since I put my lift in I get a constant woop woop woop sound coming from what seems to be the passenger side.
Thanks again and sorry for the hijack, you may all return to your regularly scheduled program.

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Help! I've been...
threadjacked.gif

BjBnet,
The "whoop, whoop, whoop" definately sounds like a CV heading south. It should sound worse the more you stress the joint - like when you turn.

All,
Thanks all for the help and suggestions on the lift. I think I'll start with the springs, struts and shocks, and go from there. With 60,000mi on it, the struts aren't what they used to be, and since the front has to be heavilly dismantled for that, I'll do the springs then too. I can then "adjust" the current clevis position to level it if needed. This shouldn't cause any Ball Joint or alignment issues either.

Down the road a while (hopefully around 90,000mi) when the upper Ball Joints need some work, I can go with a new pair of UCAs from JBA. Add the KK clevis and a spacer in the back, and be right around 3".

We've owned the '06 Limited for almost 2 years now, and my wife has wanted it lifted ever since she saw the first lifted one. Since it only gets off road a dozen times a year at most, justifing a whole new suspension was a bit hard.

Again - Thanks for all the input! It's what makes this site the best.

(bowdown) (bowdown) (bowdown) (bowdown) (bowdown)

texasman1383

Reaction score
PLEASE HELP!!! gettin ome lift med. want to run 235/85/R16 have been told major rubbing will a clevis lift and rear spring isolators fix/help?

texasman1383

Reaction score
Its mainly going to be used for muddin so wheel travel isn't a problem. Just worried about tire rub. Thanks for the advice any other comments or solutions would be helpful.