Devi's Renegade Roadshow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deviations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just purchased an 04 black renegade over the weekend and requested a build sheet today. From what I understand, I have many options, but not all. I don't think there have been any mods completed, but I need to take a closer look. I'll try and post some pics very soon.

Future Upgrades:
Heated power leather seats
More interesting rims
Frankenlift
Some chrome on the engine somewhere - power upgrades are always fun, but I haven't researched this yet.
A Coco Beach Surfing School bumper sticker (this only thing I miss from my old car)

Deviations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been raining here for two days so I don't have great pictures yet.

One in the barn
You must be registered for see images attach

One in the parking lot at work

EVERYONE who sees me in this car tells me how great it looks! I haven't gotten this much play from a car since I blew up my Porche when I was 27.

Deviations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chrysler emailed be the build sheet less than 12 hours from my request (nice!).

Here are the highlights:
Taupe Cloth Seats - My first mod will be heated leather
Skid Plate group
3.7 L
4 spd auto 42RLE
Lock Up Torque Converter - Is that the Trac Loc option?
Command-Trac 4 WD
Dana 30/186MM Front Axle
3,73 Axle Ratio
Corporate 8.25 Rear Axle
Power Mirrors
Power Sunroof
Keyless Entry
Air Conditioning
Dual Note Electric Horns - Love the sound of those
Roof Mounted Light Bar
Jeep Badge
4x4 badge
Renegade badge - That one is missing
AM/FM Compact Disc Radio Also a future mod
Class III hitch

Deviations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats that thing hanging out of your grille?

That's the plug for the engine block heater. Even though I live in Minnesota, I won't have a need for it (heated floors in my garage), so I think I'm going to try and tuck it back into the engine compartment.

Deviations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, Trac Lock is a limited slip differencial in the 8.25 rear axle.

The torque converter is the thing that has been fitted between your engine and your auto gearbox.

Lock up means that it can 'lock' so there is no more los of power due to converter slip.

Nice Renny btw, although I never understood that roofrack.

Thanks for the detail on the Trac Loc.

It looks like the plastic 'extras' on the roof rack can come off, leaving rather normal looking rails. I wonder if it makes sense to remove the plasic?

Deviations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dismantled the plastic roof rack "surround" and said "adios!". I think it looks cleaner this way. There was a little grunge underneath it, but that all cleaned up nicely.

I also took some time trying to figure out what the service status is.

Spark plugs look O.k. & correctly gapped (AC Delco)
Oil and filter are new (done at the dealer before I purchased it)
- I can't see the brand of filter, but it's not a Fram. It's a darkish blue color
Air filter is new
****** fluid looks good
Coolant looks good - I'm going to have to get used to the compartmentalized reservoir
S-belt needs to be replaced
Differential fluid still needs to be checked, I may just replace it

First tank of gas = 17.7 MPG. Ouch. I wasn't expecting 25, but I also wasn't expecting 17-18. I'm going to baby the gas pedal this tank and see what the difference is.

Minor mod thoughts - The class III hitch receiver didn't come with a cover and I though about getting one that also acts as a step, but with the spare on the back, I'd need to open the gate and then close the window to use it. Does anyone else have one of these and is it usefull?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
17.7 sounds pretty good....:)

The oil filter could be Mopar....those are black or dark blue...:)

Nice Renny!

Deviations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read the invesigative thread on filters. Puke on the Mopar filter! I'll have to change my oil and filter a little early!

Does anyone believe the new Castrol adds claiming significantly less wear than Mobile-1?

Deviations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Minor Mod number two (O.K. very minor):

Hitch receiver cover - When I bought the Rene, it came sans cover, this looks better. I'm still trying to figure out if a step insert makes any sense.

The weird design in the chrome cover is just an odd reflection of me taking the photo.

Here is what I'm thinking about for the long term:

You must be registered for see images

Deviations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to get rid of the faded black appearance of my door handles & light bar over the weekend. Based on recommendations in the detailing threads, I purchased Bondo's Black Restore product and applied it per the instructions.

This picture shows the difference as the product was being applied. At this point, I was going to be pretty happy (even though the product is a pain to apply and the sponge they give you falls apart very quickly).

Here is the after (one day later). Although the components are darker, they are in no way even near as dark as the original black. I've had better results and easier application just using tire wet products (although they don't last long). At this point, I'd consider this product a waste of time and wouldn't recommend it.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deviations......Real nice black Renne there.

Dave

Deviations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Deviations......Real nice black Renne there.

Dave

Thanks!

I love the black when it's clean. I can't describe how many comments I get on this car - more than any I've had since I sold a 69 Cadillac DeVille Convertable I used to own.

It does show EVERY speck of dirt though.

Deviations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Second tank of gas = 17.6 MPG. I completely babied the gas pedal. Considering the first tank of gas was 17.7 with plenty of foot stomping, I think I'll stay with foot stomping.

Deviations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even though the oil appeared to have been recently changed at the dealer, I got itchy last night and changed it out. Thank goodness I had perused the "how to change your oil" thread or I would have been very suprised by the weird drain spout.

The filter was a bit of a pain to get to. I tried a filter socket style wrench first, but the angle was far enough off that I couldn't get a strong connection. In the end, I was able to use a band wrench (about 1/16th of a turn at a time). The oil didn't look like it had been just changed, but it wasn't full of sludge either. The suprise was a crappy Microguard filter. I was expecting a Mopar filter due to the color.

Replaced with Amsoil 5x-30 and a Napa Gold filter.

Deviations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
License Plate Kharma

My 21 day permit expired over the weekend and my new plates hadn't shown up yet. I called the DMV and they didn't have me in the system - so they told me to call the dealer. Three transfers later, they told me that they hadn't processed everything on time, but if I stopped by the dealer, I could get the plates the next morning.

I stopped there the next day and was greeted by the hot receptionist (I was told to see her to pick up the plates). As she was flipping through the stack to find mine, I told her that she better give me a good set, which she thought was very funny.

I pull them out of the envelope and voila - the first three numbers are the name (and address) of a bar I spent a lot of time at in my college years. The set of letters is an abbreviation of the beer I favored at the time.

Sweet!

Deviations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time to get the hitch fired up.

Chrome tongue
1 7/8 ball
Master Lock
4 flat adapter

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

I love the black when it's clean. I can't describe how many comments I get on this car - more than any I've had since I sold a 69 Cadillac DeVille Convertable I used to own.

It does show EVERY speck of dirt though.

It's not a car.....it's a jeep....or a Renne.....or a KJ.

Dave

PS....that beer looks good.....

Deviations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I completed the Mag light mod (next to the window in the cargo area). The only problem was the Mag Light. For some reason, I went with a purple Mag Light (I think I was still under the influence of a recent Vikings win). It looks terrible. I'm going to go out and get a black one. I tried as hard as I could to find one with a Jeep logo, but no joy.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.