Detailed the KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ever since buying my KJ, I've been wanting to get around to doing a little paint correction on it. I've been too busy doing other things to it, and have been neglecting the paint. I didn't have much going on at my shop, so I took the rest of the day off to do a little cleaning on the KJ. When it comes to detailing I'm a newbie, so I'm sure it could've turn out better if I knew wtf I was doing lol.

Here's what I did:
1) Rough wash with Turtle Wax Car Wash
2) Normal wash with Turtle Wax to clean the most possible before clay bar treatment.
3) Clay bar treatment using Meg's Clay Bar kit
4) Another light washing with TW
5) 2nd clay bar treatment using the other bar in the kit
6) Ultimate Compound treatment
7) 2 coats of Gold Class paste wax with TW Liquid ICE around/on trim, roof rack, and door handles.

I spent just under 6 hours on the exterior and I'll be doing the interior tomorrow. About 30 minutes after I finished, it started storming. I'm happy with the way it turned out, but wouldn't mind using a DA the next time. Now on to the pics...

Final results
You must be registered for see images attach

After 2nd clay bar treatment, getting ready to start with the Ultimate Compound

After Ultimate Compound and 1st coat of wax

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Looks great! What kind of DA are you looking into? Or do you already have one?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks very good.

Dave

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice looking KJ you got.

My favorite part about washing/waxing is feeling the finish on the Jeep afterward.

I still need to find a good wax I can use that will not mess up plastic trimming but is still a really good wax that lasts. I have this Mothers liquid wax but it doesn't really last at all. I know you can tape off that stuff but that's annoying :icon_lol:

I get crap when I claybar/wax mine. "It's a Jeep so it's supposed to be dirty so doing all of that is a waste". I say you can still get her dirty, but there is nothing wrong with taking care of her in between.

Last edited:

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great! What kind of DA are you looking into? Or do you already have one?
I haven't gotten one yet. Not really sure what's out there, I've heard alot of good things about the porter cable. You have any recommendations?

Thanks guys, there's no sense in letting your rig go to shit just because it's a Jeep. Some people give me a hard time because I like to keep my rigs looking good, plus a good coat of wax makes cleanup alot easier and resists trail scratches. I've used Turtle Wax Ice for a while on trim and everything else. On my LJ(and TJ before I totaled it) I use it close to the flares and top and use a good wax everywhere else. It helped keep from having to tape off half the rig.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Check out autogeekonline.net
Best detailing forum around. I use a PC 7424 XP but other good ones are the Rupes 21 and Flex 3401. But I know nothing compared to some guys there. :D

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I looked around over there a little last night. Looking at the projects some of the more knowledgeable guys have done left me impressed. I gotta try to not get sucked in on their forum or I'll find even more stuff to spend money on...

Last edited:

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just skimming online I saw a bunch of stuff saying how it's bad to use wax on new cars and instead you are supposed to use some paint conditioner stuff that appeared to be ungodly expensive. Any truth to that?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Just skimming online I saw a bunch of stuff saying how it's bad to use wax on new cars and instead you are supposed to use some paint conditioner stuff that appeared to be ungodly expensive. Any truth to that?

No. Basically there is wax, sealants and coatings. Waxes are basic and last a few months. Sealants are synthetic and last a few months to a year. Coatings are the most advanced and last 2-5 years depending on which one.