Dead Radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dystynkt

Reaction score
Last night my wife and I jumped into her 08' Libby to head home, and for some reason the entire radio was dead. None of the lights worked on it or anything. When I got home I checked the fuse and it was fine. It was very late so I didn't have any time to look at anything else. I'll hopefully find a chance this weekend to pull it out and take a look, but in the meantime maybe someone else has dealt with this. Thanks!

Idaho08KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your keyless entry and interior lights still work, but the radio doesn't, chances are the radio failed. They are all tied into the IOD fuse.

dystynkt

Reaction score
I am going to attempt to pull apart the dash to check the wiring sometime this weekend. Any good guides out there on getting the radio out?

DirtyKK

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
its fairly easy... grab the top of the center trim on each side, the thin strips that run up the side is what im talkin about here, give em a pull from the top and they pop out. then work your way down pulling out. at the bottom you might have to take the Jeep outta gear and take caution of the wiring on the backside. the radio is in with 4 bolts/screws, just need to take those out. make sure the negative battery cable is disconnected. unplug the connectors and the antenna cable is kind of latched into place iirc so dont go just tugging on it.... like i said its not very complicated. if you need an oem replacement ive got mine laying around.

Huntyeraws

Reaction score
I had an issue with my Liberty yesterday, the key fob didn't work and when I started the vehicle, I noticed that the radio said 12:00 and the A/C and vent controls didn't work or light up. I then saw a message on the display saying - "no fuse"

I checked the fuse box - everything looked ok. I drove it and came back but it was still bugging me. The vehicle is still under warranty so I figure that it might be an electrical bug. But I checked once again, this time, I thought "out of the box" - literally and noticed a half dried up bagel along side the inside fender well and the fuse box. When I pulled this out I noticed a bunch of wires on two different wiring harnesses had been chewed on or chewed completely through! SOB - not a warranty issue! I got a rodent! I think it is a chipmunk!

I am sure an new wiring harness isn't cheap and the labor to snake it all through is going to be fun too. At least my comprehensive damage on my auto insurance has a $50 deductable. Just a pain in the you know what.

Insurance co. cut me a "starter" check for dealer to assess damage and start work.

Some times, things are not what they seem to be...

Here is a pic

You must be registered for see images

dystynkt

Reaction score
I had an issue with my Liberty yesterday, the key fob didn't work and when I started the vehicle, I noticed that the radio said 12:00 and the A/C and vent controls didn't work or light up. I then saw a message on the display saying - "no fuse"

I checked the fuse box - everything looked ok. I drove it and came back but it was still bugging me. The vehicle is still under warranty so I figure that it might be an electrical bug. But I checked once again, this time, I thought "out of the box" - literally and noticed a half dried up bagel along side the inside fender well and the fuse box. When I pulled this out I noticed a bunch of wires on two different wiring harnesses had been chewed on or chewed completely through! SOB - not a warranty issue! I got a rodent! I think it is a chipmunk!

I am sure an new wiring harness isn't cheap and the labor to snake it all through is going to be fun too. At least my comprehensive damage on my auto insurance has a $50 deductable. Just a pain in the you know what.

Insurance co. cut me a "starter" check for dealer to assess damage and start work.

Some times, things are not what they seem to be...

Here is a pic

You must be registered for see images

Wow, that is definitely not what I would think of first! Quite a unique problem!

My problem actually somehow fixed itself. After nothing working for days, and right before I was going to start taking things apart, I got frustrated that whatever CD was in there would be forever stuck. In my frustration I pushed the 'eject' button just for the heck of it, and out pops the cd and the radio turns on as if nothing ever happened (dunno)

superliberty

Reaction score
Last night my wife and I jumped into her 08' Libby to head home, and for some reason the entire radio was dead. None of the lights worked on it or anything. When I got home I checked the fuse and it was fine.!

Idaho is correct, they are all tied in with the IOD fuse. The stock radio also has an internal fuse.
You must be registered for see images attach

Now would be a good time to upgrade. I had the stock radio ( first pic) I removed it, bought a mygig off ebay $250 with dvd, sirius satellite radio and Nav.Plugs right in . connectors are the same.
You must be registered for see images attach
I stored 1700 songs on it so far. you can also install a backup camera. plugs right in

Last edited: