Danged window regular broke again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wakko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SWMBO's Liberty lost both rear window regulators about six months ago or so, and Jeep swapped em out with no problem. Saturday, the passenger side front let go. I wonder how long the driver's side will hold? I wish they'd change both sides and save us taking a day off of work each time!!!:favorites68:

OneOneNiner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SWMBO's Liberty lost both rear window regulators about six months ago or so, and Jeep swapped em out with no problem. Saturday, the passenger side front let go. I wonder how long the driver's side will hold? I wish they'd change both sides and save us taking a day off of work each time!!!:favorites68:

Check with your local dealer and ask about this being covered by a recall.
I know a friend (local LOST member), that went in for one bad reg, and they went ahead and changed them all out through recall.
Never posted this before because I was sure someone would slam this in some way or another(it does sound too good to be true). It's true.
Tell the dealer this story. I'm guessing it was at the Baton Rouge Dealer.

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just pick up the stinger part. Cheap and easy to do and you will never have to replace them again. Do a google search for window regulator KJ metal should come up. Or do a search on here. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guitarzan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a replacement from Steiger and either do it yourself or pay a local reputable shop to install it.

I read somewhere here or on Lost that there's another company making a similar one to the Steiger part for about 50 bucks. I've got Steiger's in both rear doors of my '07 and no problems at all.

Wakko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealership replaced the passenger side but refused to replace the driver's. Oddly, they said that should it break by January of 2014, we'd be good to go. That's the expiration of our warranty, but we did not pay a deductible on this repair. Last time they made it clear it was part of the pseudo recall, but this time they didn't. Either way, aggravating.

If any of the other three windows break again, I'll use the metal part, but as long as there's a warranty with no deductible, I'll use it. Driver's side window is the only one left!

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if theyre fixing it for free, id go to dealer and get it done under recall and use the steiger part, that way you get a brand new motor and all and youll never have to worry about it again

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if theyre fixing it for free, id go to dealer and get it done under recall and use the steiger part, that way you get a brand new motor and all and youll never have to worry about it again

Most dealerships / services departments will do it under warranty, but will only use the Manufacturer's replacement (or equivilant) parts. In this case, you get the SAME weak plastic part you had originally. Most will not install an aftermarket "upgrade" (like the Stieger Performance piece) as now they are liable for any failures.

When insurance companies pay for repairs (warranties) they get narrow-minded about what they will cover...

Here's what I did as my rear windows were giving me fits.

I had my driver's side rear replaced under warranty. I asked for the broken assembly back as it was only 3-4 moths since the last time it was replaced. I ordered the Stieger Performance kits for both sides, and re-built the failed regulator (quite easy). When the new one let go (about 6 months this time) I swapped out the broken one with one I rebuilt, and then installed the other kit in the passengers side. No problems since (over 18 months) and I have a new-ish spare motor just in case.

Latest posts

Members online