Dang. Transfer case Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I finally brought my KJ in for the LBJ recall. (Kids are out of school this week, so we can live w/o the jep for a day) Figured I'd do an oil change too, since they offered a $25 package w/ the service.

So I get a phone call, transfer case gasket is leaking, $215. I approve it. Get another call... we gave u wrong price, they have to drop transfer case, so it's gonna be $350.

<SCREAMS>

Oh well.... dunno how hard it is to replace.... but they're gonna do it. Guessing if they had to drop transfer case to do it, prolly not something I want to handle on my own, in the snow.

-Blu

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to sure I would of let them that. They do need to drop the tcase to change the input seal so they got that part right.

Still to much $$ though.

Its good they called you back though. Most dealers would do whatever then surprise you when you go to pay.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It depends on what was exactly leaking,the seal where it mounts to the ******?The adapter plate leaking? Or was the split seal leaking.Either seall requires you to drop the t-case,if it was the split seal that would warrent a high cost since you have to split the t-case into it's 2 halfs and reseal(not always fun).

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, now I realize that this truly needed doing. I'd noticed a thunk when stopping, I had attributed it to the rear drums (which have not been touched since the KJ was built, as far as I know). Apparently it was related, as this symptom is now gone.

As dealerships go, my dealership is pretty good, they've been honest with me in all my dealings thus far. This is not the dealership where I bought the vehicle (got it used at a Dodge dealer, actually).

Picked up the Liberty Friday afternoon, and all is well. LBJ recall finally done, my transfer case is no longer leaking, they rotated the tires & changed the oil... so I should be set to go. When it gets warmer I'll do plugs & wires.......

-Blu

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard to find a dealer that actually tries to take care of you.

They probably greased the splines on the rear drive-shaft where it goes into the tcase. That will stop that thunk for awhile but its pretty normal, just annoying.

Cant change the plug wires on the kj. :)

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read further in the service manual....

The 3.7L V-6 engine uses 6 dedicated, and individually fired coil for each spark plug. Each coil is mounted directly into the cylinder head and onto the top of each spark plug.

You must be registered for see images

(AutoZone)

My post 80's car repair tech in my head would tell me to do plugs/wires together, thats how I've always done it... so for the 3.7, I can just do plugs and move on with my life? Wonder what the halflife is on the ignition coils.... they're $30 each @ autozone...... when should I think about replacing them?

-Blu

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a call at work asking if there were supposed to be bolts hanging out of the bottom of the Jeep.

Heres what it looks like, havent had time to get out and look at it/tighten. Called the dealer, they want to review it tomorrow morning.... so looks like I'm getting up early.

Passengers Side:

Drivers Side:

Lovely, eh?

-Blu

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a call at work asking if there were supposed to be bolts hanging out of the bottom of the Jeep.

Heres what it looks like, havent had time to get out and look at it/tighten. Called the dealer, they want to review it tomorrow morning.... so looks like I'm getting up early.

Passengers Side:

Drivers Side:

Lovely, eh?

-Blu
WOW.......

That's not good at all,those bolts hold up the ******/t-case mount.That's a major disaster waiting to happen and could be deadly(not to mention about $5000+ in damages at least) if that cross member falls out.I would not drive it at all until those bolts are torqued properly.

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ooo thats not good lol. Also i am also curious on the life of the coil packs. I just did my plugs, not those, they more of a life time thing until one cracks or misfires?

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, last night, I tightened up all the bolts with a socket wrench, called the dealer, and they agreed to take a look at it this morning. Brought it in, and was immediately assigned to the service manager, who I've dealt with before and is a pretty straightforward guy. Explained to him what had happened, he was mortified, and brought it in immediately. I also mentioned that this negligence put my wife and children in jeopardy -- he didn't bat an eye before agreeing with me that this was a very serious issue, and could have had miserable consequences.

He had a tech review all the work done during the repair (including the LBJ recall and the transfer case stuff) and inspected it himself. They looked it over for about 10-15 minutes, then brought me to take a look at it. He noted that one bolt was completely gone (must have rattled off) - I'd presumed this last night .... they replaced it.

So I got a couple free oil changes out of the deal. All in all, given that they messed up, they handled it the best way they could.

-Blu

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last night I had a nightmare because of this since mine is in the dealer. I saw that they replaced the lbjs but they were sticking half way out because they didn't tighten the bolts and there were some weird ropes hanging off the jeep. (Or it could be due to cracker jack and starbucks iced mocha at 11:30 pm)

I guess, when I go to pick it up today, I better lean over and check every darn thing that could be lose.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just make sure to check your blinker fluid before you leave. Lotta times they drain it and that would be, well, ungood.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Yeah, Blinker fluid works great!
I also use a can of stop squeal brake lubricant, all you do is spray it directly on your brake rotors and it works instantly to stop unwanted disc squeal and squeeks!
It is widely available here in Richmond.
The Asians really like!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you blinkers sluggish? Do they make an annoying ticking noise? Do they not flash fast enough? Here's your solution. Little do people know, factory quality blinker fluid should be changed every 150,000 blinks.

Blu....that stuff is trash. I use the synthetic fluid. By the way, how many "blinks" you got on your KJ??? :D

Dave