Cylinder Misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm not bashing platinum by any means, i just would not use them in my vehicles. i had actually removed the factory platinums from mt srt-8 jeep to install ngk coppers. imo they are just a waste of money
NGK's are about the worst plug you can put into a vehicle,just about equal to champion plugs.NGK's are prone to falling apart and dropping into the combustion chamber under heavy loads.At least NGK bought my buddy a new $60,000 555cu in Rat motor when the NGK's destroyed his engine.

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NGK's are about the worst plug you can put into a vehicle,just about equal to champion plugs.NGK's are prone to falling apart and dropping into the combustion chamber under heavy loads.At least NGK bought my buddy a new $60,000 555cu in Rat motor when the NGK's destroyed his engine.
i agree! but some of these dealers won't give you access to warranty work on the ignition/ motor work, unless factory oem plugs are in, and the problem still presents.

i am now out of warranty now and soon i will change the ngk's out for another copper core brand!

Last edited:

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
carbon build up

just information (fyi) i believe the cause of this whole valve not rotating tsb was do to the valve train rework in 05.

these 3.7L and 4.7L will build up alot of carbon if you short trip them and use discount gasoline with the epa minimum detergent! this explains why some 05-06 owners never need the tsb and some do!

some top tier gasolines i use to prevent this problem are:
shell 87 has more than 2 times the epa minimum detergent level
shell 89 has more than 3 times the epa minimum detergent level
shell 93 (v-power) has more than 5 times the minimum detergent

Chevron all grades have huge amounts of their detergent tecron

texaco (owned by chevron)

their are more top tiers but those are the ones in my area.

bp is not considered top tier but have very high levels of invigorate detergent.

sprsonic and tjkj correct me if i am wrong on the carbon build up theory! mike

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say champions are bad. may not be the best for this engine, but they are perfect in other applications.

my ngk's that I pulled out were stock, they looked fine, had 70k miles I think it was. the autolites that are in now seem to be fine, single platinum

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
None of the Jeep dealers will talk to me because I'm not "the customer". They will only talk to the Chevy dealer I bought it from because they're the ones who presented the vehicle for repair.

The one time I did bring it in to a Jeep dealer they admitted to me they didn't know what was wrong with it.

I've been fighting with the dealer I purchased the vehicle from to take the vehicle back and give me something of eqal or greater value. I even went so far as to call the dealership's general manager and tell him, "You sold me a piece of $hit. You cleared the check engine light, parked it on your lot, and waited for the first sucker to come along and buy it!"

I have a question for those of you that work at Jeep dealers. If I go in and ask for a report showing all warranty work that has been done on the vehicle, will they give it to me?

All this work being done is being done under the manufacture's 3/36,000 warranty.

As for spark plugs....they're one of those items that if you ask 10 different people what the best brand it, you're likely to get 10 different answers.

I, myself have never cared for NGK simply because they used to foul out so darn easy in anything I ran them in. I've always had a preference for either AC delco or Bosch. Autolites are okay too I suppose.

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All this work being done is being done under the manufacture's 3/36,000 warranty.
if it is still under the 3/36 then you qualify as the customer (since you are the owner)! go and make a new warranty claim, with the proper plugs in it! mike

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was rather pissed off when I called the Jeep dealer the first time it went into the shop and they wouldn't tell me a darn thing. It made me feel like they were hiding something for the garage I bought it from.

However, I do work in the health care industry as an admissions department manager, so I just chalked up to privacy standards.

I've thought about taking it to a completely new Jeep dealer next time it throws a code, rather than taking it back to the Chevy dealer I bought it from. At least that way I would know what's going on with it.

Since we got it back two days ago it's been running fine, but that doesn't mean anything. Last time it ran good for about three weeks or so. I'm hoping that it's either fixed or the check engine comes back on soon. My The manufacture's warranty is up in March 2009 and the clock is ticking on my chance for a NYS Lemon Law claim if I decide to go that route.

It's really a shame this is all going on with this vehicle because it's been very well taken care of. It's immaculate inside and out.

Thanks for all the help and advice guys. I really appreciate it. This is a great group of people. :D

Last edited:

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to Wal-Mart tonight to do grocery shopping, the rear tailgate won't open. Lift glass works fine, just the tailgate won't open.

Back to the garage it goes.

Will it ever end.

sprsonic

Full Access Member
Reaction score

i'm sorry mr. all knowing higher power, you are correct

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
You are the owner of the vehicle, you should be able to get a VIP Report. About the only thing on there that is related to the previous owner is their name...

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Went to Wal-Mart tonight to do grocery shopping, the rear tailgate won't open. Lift glass works fine, just the tailgate won't open.

Back to the garage it goes.

Will it ever end.

If you are going to keep it then go and file the paperwork for the Lemon law claim before it's too late and you end up with a lemon with a coin slot on top.
Either that or trade it in, swallow the loss if your out of pocket any money.
In the long run I think you would be better off.