Cylinder Head breather hose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CodeWarrior

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The other day I figured it was time to check the old spark plug gaps. I immediately found a hose on the drivers side of the air box that attached to the throttle body that was just lying on the fuel rail area. This hose originally attached to that air box, but the end had cracked and split open allowing it to fall off.

In searching for where it was supposed to go I found that the barb connector on the rear of the drivers side cylinder head was exposed. See below for the two parts). Checking the one on the passenger side, I found a similar hose that was disconnected from whatever it was supposed to connect to. I looked these up in my parts manual and only really came up with the crankcase breather valve (part number 53030850AB).

I called the dealership because I did not see any of these available for cheap online and wondered how much it would be from them. The parts guy tells me that it was superseded by part number 53013723AC. It was going to be like $45 including shipping to get it. Amazon had the part so I bought it, and it arrived yesterday evening. (see below for picture)

I am relatively certain that this is not the right part. It does not contain any kind of valve, and does not seem to fit no matter which way I try installing it. It is my understanding that this T-shaped set of hoses and tubes is supposed to connect both of the barbs on the cylinder heads to the air box connected to the throttle body. Anyone got any input on this? I see the part in the 04 and 05 Liberty Parts catalogs, but it doesn't show how it goes on there either (and it doesn't quite look the same as what I have either.

Old hoses
You must be registered for see images attach

New monstrosity
You must be registered for see images attach

Tigey

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The orientation in your pic seems to be upside down, also the end rubber pieces are reversed in the same manner, the left side in your pic should go to the right of your engine if you look at it from the front of Your vehicle, youll have to feed the tube in under all that wiring around the engine.

In summary left side in pic goes to right side in engine, once you have that fed in under the wiring grt the other end back near thr engine, then attach at back and finally at airbox in front.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it'll help to know what year liberty you have.
Based off the old hoses you've found, I think you have an early year KJ, 02-03 model.

The hose they gave you is for a different year.

should be
53013458AB for the passenger side
53013457AB for the driver side

CodeWarrior

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Defiant, looks like you are correct. The airbox on my 2003 liberty has a host barb on each side. Looks like the passenger side hose is still fine, it just came off of the air box.

The drivers side hoses are cracked and hard, so I will need to replace the hoses (presumably the valve is fine). Is there a way for the ordinary person to form these rubber hoses? If so, some 1/2 inch hose and some 3/4 inch hose can be purchased from the auto parts store down the road.

CodeWarrior

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a part numbered 53030850AB described as crankcase breather which I thought was some kind of valve (allowing one way airflow). That is the middle part of each of those two hoses. I still have them and they appear to be in working condition.