Custom Intake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into making a custom intake, either starting with a piece like LTTs or putting a hole in the airbox, and running piping to the grill?
Also was thinking of running a piece from the TB to a custom made box with a cone style filter then doing the pipe idea.
Any ideas or pics of anyones set-up would be a great help!

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ebay intake and call it a day

Don't most of those just suck in the hot air around then engine?
I had one on my XJ before and it didn't seem to do anything..
Then e I got my edge intake throttle body and chip and I found a decent change.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats because the liberty intake is semi decent and does a good job, when you put a free flowing aftermarket unit on you wont see much of a gain. a real cold air intake would give you real gains either. no matter what you will need ecu work to get any real gains.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats because the liberty intake is semi decent and does a good job, when you put a free flowing aftermarket unit on you wont see much of a gain. a real cold air intake would give you real gains either. no matter what you will need ecu work to get any real gains.

Yeah i figured the PCM would just adjust to it...
I do plan to eventually have B&G flash it, but that's not until I have a real job but before I start the adult life :D

Vtolds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Intakes add a handful of HP at best. The design of the stock intake is already pretty good. I just have a K&N Filter with the stock parts.

SurfGuitar141

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a K&N in the stock box, and also cut the box to open it up.

I believe a good quality K&N cold air intake kit would be an advantage as it comes with a shield to block engine heat. There are cheaper alternatives offered on eBay with chrome piping connected to a K&N cone filter, but those units will drawl hot air off the engine as they do not include a heat shield.

It's the old...."you get what you pay for"......beyond just running a K&N in the stock air box, anything other than a complete K&N cold air intake kit is a waste of money......

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a K&N in the stock box, and also cut the box to open it up.

I believe a good quality K&N cold air intake kit would be an advantage as it comes with a shield to block engine heat. There are cheaper alternatives offered on eBay with chrome piping connected to a K&N cone filter, but those units will drawl hot air off the engine as they do not include a heat shield.

It's the old...."you get what you pay for"......beyond just running a K&N in the stock air box, anything other than a complete K&N cold air intake kit is a waste of money......

now cutting the box will probably hurt you because the design of the stock intake is a cold air intake which is awesome even if it has 4 bends in it.