Curt trailer hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with Curt trailer hitches? The weight rating and build quality *at a glance* on them is what I am looking for, just not convinced of their overall reputability.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you mean the entire hitch that is permanently attached to the Jeep or the ball itself (not sure what its called). If youre talkin about the ball part, its what we use whenever we tow the quads and havent had any problems.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hitch receiver, didn't think anyone would take that to mean the hitch ball.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the_titan said:
Hitch receiver, didn't think anyone would take that to mean the hitch ball.

I didnt know they made the actual recievers, but I figured I'd seen weirder questions on here lol.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had one of those on my old '94 Ranger back in the day...towed a couple cars on dolly trailers with it, pushing 5000lbs in weight total, had no trouble whatsoever. I really don't see them, my Ranger was the only vehicle I saw with one before, but it seemed to be fine quality.

BBKRISH

Reaction score
the_titan said:
Anyone have any experience with Curt trailer hitches? The weight rating and build quality *at a glance* on them is what I am looking for, just not convinced of their overall reputability.

Uhaul guy ---

We've been using the Curt model labelled Uhaul for some time, Between that, Drawtite, Reese and Valley They are all of good quality.

Curt is a tougher, thicker Gloss powder coat..

We have found...Curt...
1. The hitch capacity to be true
2. The Engineering to be less than perfect Occasional fit problems -- with Curt.. but nothing major.. a twist, a wrestle and it fits.
3. Hardware is packaged wit it, We like grade 8's Curet likes grade 5's. We like a bit longer hardware for the threading.. Nuts and bolts are true
4. Instructions are good
5. Gloss paint is occasionally too thick for the receiver to take a normal ballmount without some adjustment to the ballmount or the interior of the receiver. Stainless ballmounts or zinc coated works best as fit. Painted may be tight or very tight.
6. Great warranty. Uhaul installed is Lifetime any cause free replacement and install.
7. Watch the spare tire. We will set a longer ballmount to allow for trailer clearance at the tire. Consider measuring for clearance and trailer coupler heights. Its the vehicle , not the hitch.
8. Wiring harness if properly spliced will give you problems only when the harness is overloaded; with a trailer carrying more than 4 lights per circuit, or, if there is a high resistance in your trailer wires. We suggest a Modulite type of converter that allows your vehicle battery to bear the trailer connection load for lights. That Modulite is fused at 10 amps.. We recommend you reduce the fuse size to 7.5 or 8 amps ( rather blow a fuse that a trailer harness or a modulite box, or start a fire in vehicle wiring.
9. You did not say what type trailer you were planning on towing, however, our observation has been that anything over 1500 pounds GTW should be accompanied with a brake controller for stopping it and weight distribution and sway control for over 2000# trailers. on that vehicle. The diesel pulls fine... along with the v-6 up to 2500#... over that and you might have hill climbing issues...
10. If you're planning regular towing, get an automatic transmission cooler.. for your auto trans...?

We find, and install aftermarket hitches/ wiring harness for our local Jeep Dealer... as well as any vehicle needing an aftermarket tow package.

Good luck with your KJ

.... WJ 2002 2-1/2 lift, Cold air-flow, Towing package, Tow bar package, Nerfs.

glaurick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BBKRISH said:
the_titan said:

for stopping it and weight distribution and sway control for over 2000# trailers. on that vehicle. The diesel pulls fine... along with the v-6 up to 2500#... over that and you might have hill climbing issues...
10. If you're planning regular towing, get an automatic transmission cooler.. for your auto trans...?

Not if you tow a TrailManor