Cryptic Question- beepy flashy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jasonwd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m posing this question in this manner because nefarious individuals could goofle here and use it do do naughty things with our Jeeps... so...

There is a flashy beepy feature that flashes and beeps when bad people mess with Jeep. From now we’ll call this feature ignoratron5000, because thats what most people do. At that point it morphs into irritateatron5000 and sometimes even policeatmydoorat3amatron5000. Let’s say 3 times... in the last month.

So, because Jolene (our Liberty) is deteriorating faster than you can say "f**k me, Quebec is car hell" various sensors, wires and doodads are failing, along with a general sense of dementia.

I’ve even resorted to locking the Jeep with the door switch, not locking and even in the case of policeatmydoorat3amatron5000 going out in the -27°C (-16°F) and disconnecting the battery so we don’t get burned in our beds.

My question; how do I permanently and totally rid poor Jolene of ignoratron5000? If I can’t, it is another nail in the coffin of Jolene and a trip to the big scrapyard in the sky.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about the anti-theft system?

Forget about people googling to find info to mess with a 15 year old Jeep... what are you actually trying to say? lol.. I don't understand your question exactly and how it relates to all the various sensors, wires and other systems failing on your vehicle.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't have a vehicle year listed, but it sounds (after alot of rereading) like you have an aftermarket alarm installed that is either way too damn sensitive or installed incorrectly and just goes off constantly. If so, the trick here is to extricate it without dicking up your electrical system further.

Jasonwd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't have a vehicle year listed,
Sorry; it's a 2004

but it sounds (after alot of rereading) like you have an aftermarket alarm installed that is either way too damn sensitive or installed incorrectly and just goes off constantly. If so, the trick here is to extricate it without dicking up your electrical system further.

Nope.. it's just a super, super annoying factory alarm

To rephrase the question.

Standard Alarm - How to permanently and totally disable?

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Following, since in my nearly five years here I have never heard of a factory alarm. (Besides the immobilizer, but it doesn't make any noise.)

I do have an aftermarket alarm which is triggered by the stock Jeep remote. Were I to sell it, the new owner would not know it was there unless I told them. It works transparently, as in nothing else I "have" to enable/disable.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My LR3's alarm used to go off randomly when the hood sensor started to fail. Maybe you have a failing door sensor?

Jasonwd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Following, since in my nearly five years here I have never heard of a factory alarm. (Besides the immobilizer, but it doesn't make any noise.

Oh yeah, it’s a factory alarm alright. I’ve been scouring the workshop manual looking for an answer.

Jasonwd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remove horn :gr_grin:

My next trick is to put an inline switch before the horn...

Being woken up by the cops and irate neighbours is not fun.

Also, here in Montreal it’s illegal to leave your car unlocked

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitly as stated above it could be the hood ajar switch that is failing.

If you raise the hood you will see on the passenger side a switch aiming upwards....next to airfilter. This will set the alarm if the Jeep is locked and someone is trying to jimmy open the hood.

This switch contacts can fail or jam.

Try disconnecting this switch at its connector or jumper out the switch contacts....I cannot remember which of the above action is correct to disable the alarm.

If you lock the vehicle with the remote and then unlock it with the key....not the remote...the horn should blow. Hence why a bad door-ajar switch could cause a problem.

angelis_digital

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without a "proper" course of action, I think the switch to the horn will have to do. Have you have a low voltage electrician look at it?

Jasonwd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without a "proper" course of action, I think the switch to the horn will have to do. Have you have a low voltage electrician look at it?

Yes... me!

Switch, wires... heatshrink... Done!

Though this might be the last nail in the coffin for poor old Jolene